External Switch issue - Different Functions Per Page

jtm

Hello all,
I'm experimenting with assigning different functions to my external switches depending on which page I am on. After figuring out that the "Global" button must be unchecked on the button/external switch page, I am still having issues.

On page 1 (preset select and a few custom functions), the external switches are set to bank up and down. This works fine.

However, on the rest of the pages I have one switch set to be tap tempo (copied my tap tempo button directly from page 1) and the other is set to jump to another page (Loops or a page I created to cycle through midi preset). Again, I copied these buttons directly from my Page 1 where they work great.

When I attempt to use the external switches on any page but Page 1, the info overlay showing the button names comes up when the switch is pressed (example: screen displays "tap tempo", "Loops", or "MIDI Pedals") but nothing happens. Tempo does not change or I am not transported to the page I'm trying to select.

I'm running v4.0.4
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Check the Max Button Page setting on the Globals tab. It needs to be set to the number of the last button page you're using. I've been meaning to either take out Max Button Page altogether, or to make it a more obvious limit (where you can't even see pages that are above the Max Page limit), but for now, that's what it does - it just doesn't process buttons on pages that are above the limit.

Check the Max Button Page setting on the Globals tab. It needs to be set to the number of the last button page you're using. I've been meaning to either take out Max Button Page altogether, or to make it a more obvious limit (where you can't even see pages that are above the Max Page limit), but for now, that's what it does - it just doesn't process buttons on pages that are above the limit.

The Max Button Page is set to 5, which is the number of pages I have. I tried rewriting the settings to the pedal via the editor but the behavior of the external switches on pages 2-5 remains as described above. Again, the settings for the external switches on pages 2-5 are directly copied from functions originally assigned to several of the 10 buttons on the PBC, where they work perfectly.

I'm happy to attach my .rjs file if that would help. Thanks!

Ron,
Best I can tell (and I know you can tell better), it is a glitch. I don't see anything wrong with what he did. I did find this out....

In the editor (PC), when on the presets tab, the editor will let you edit the state of one of the external switches...but only if you are on Page 1. Going to any other page it prevents you from editing the state for THAT preset. I've never noticed it before b/c my external switch is Global, so it does the same thing on every page.

I'm thinking it's a bug, but could be wrong...

Ron,
Best I can tell (and I know you can tell better), it is a glitch. I don't see anything wrong with what he did. I did find this out....

In the editor (PC), when on the presets tab, the editor will let you edit the state of one of the external switches...but only if you are on Page 1. Going to any other page it prevents you from editing the state for THAT preset. I've never noticed it before b/c my external switch is Global, so it does the same thing on every page.

I'm thinking it's a bug, but could be wrong...

Are you editing it using the expression pedal override buttons in the lower left, or by clicking on the external switch buttons on the right? The ones on the left are the ones that should be used, the ones on the right shouldn't even be there (I'll fix that).

Are you editing it using the expression pedal override buttons in the lower left, or by clicking on the external switch buttons on the right? The ones on the left are the ones that should be used, the ones on the right shouldn't even be there (I'll fix that).

I'm confused...I was under the impression (and I believe the OP was as well) that the 4.0 upgrade offered the ability to assign different functions to external switches depending on which Page (not preset) you were on. Is this not correct? Seems like you said that somewhere, maybe I'm wrong.

If I had 2 external switches wired to the PBC and while on Page 1 they were my Bank Up/Down buttons, I thought that when I went to Page 2 they could be something different (like a "go to Page #3) button or something. That is what, I think, the OP is trying to accomplish.

The overrides are for presets....he's trying to do it per Page, regardless of preset.

I'm confused...I was under the impression (and I believe the OP was as well) that the 4.0 upgrade offered the ability to assign different functions to external switches depending on which Page (not preset) you were on. Is this not correct? Seems like you said that somewhere, maybe I'm wrong.

If I had 2 external switches wired to the PBC and while on Page 1 they were my Bank Up/Down buttons, I thought that when I went to Page 2 they could be something different (like a "go to Page #3) button or something. That is what, I think, the OP is trying to accomplish.

The overrides are for presets....he's trying to do it per Page, regardless of preset.

Yes, you can set up different settings on different pages, but editing external switches for a global page has to be done on the Buttons tab, not the Presets tab. The external switches should only be edited on the Presets tab if you're using a local page for your preset.

I just need to change the editor so it won't let you try to edit external switches on the Presets tab, except where appropriate.

So I understand what you're saying about editing from the Button page...but I'm saying we tried that and it didn't work. If I go to Page 1, double click the Ext Sw 1, and make it a Bank Up button (also make sure Global is UNchecked).....then go to page 2 and try to make that same Ext Sw 1 an IA button to do something....it does NOT work when you put it in the PBC. The Bank Up on Page 1 will work, but the IA on Page 2 will not. The OP is saying that when you press the IA button on Page 2 (in my example) the PBC screen will say the "name" of the button that you assigned, but it doesn't actually do the command.

*Note...I haven't tried it myself...this is what the OP is saying*

Regarding the presets tab...you know how I can edit the state of an IA button PER PRESET...via the presets tab? For example I can make an IA button already engaged for Preset 1 but NOT engaged for Preset 2? Shouldn't you be able to do this for the external switches PER PRESET as well? (I don't have these 2 external switches that I'm talking about...I am using both of my Ext Sw inputs w/ the Mission RJM Exp...but I'm just asking for the OP I guess). If the above is right and I should be able to edit the state per preset just like any other button on the PBC, I'm saying the editor will NOT let you do that for any page other than Page 1.

Does any of this make sense? Haha! Not sure if I'm explaining it well or not...

So I understand what you're saying about editing from the Button page...but I'm saying we tried that and it didn't work. If I go to Page 1, double click the Ext Sw 1, and make it a Bank Up button (also make sure Global is UNchecked).....then go to page 2 and try to make that same Ext Sw 1 an IA button to do something....it does NOT work when you put it in the PBC. The Bank Up on Page 1 will work, but the IA on Page 2 will not. The OP is saying that when you press the IA button on Page 2 (in my example) the PBC screen will say the "name" of the button that you assigned, but it doesn't actually do the command.

*Note...I haven't tried it myself...this is what the OP is saying*

Regarding the presets tab...you know how I can edit the state of an IA button PER PRESET...via the presets tab? For example I can make an IA button already engaged for Preset 1 but NOT engaged for Preset 2? Shouldn't you be able to do this for the external switches PER PRESET as well? (I don't have these 2 external switches that I'm talking about...I am using both of my Ext Sw inputs w/ the Mission RJM Exp...but I'm just asking for the OP I guess). If the above is right and I should be able to edit the state per preset just like any other button on the PBC, I'm saying the editor will NOT let you do that for any page other than Page 1.

Does any of this make sense? Haha! Not sure if I'm explaining it well or not...

I'll test it, doing what you describe should work.

There are three different ways to edit external switches in 4.0:

- They can be edited on each global page using the Buttons tab
- They can be edited on each local page using the Presets tab
- You can override the external switch settings for a preset without creating a local button page by using the Ext Switch Overrides section in the Presets tab

The difference between the second and third option is: if you edit an external switch on a local page, it will only affect the local button page. If you switch button pages to a global button page (without changing presets), the external switch settings will change to whatever is on that global button page. If you do an external switch override, it will override all other external switch settings while you're on that preset. It takes precedence over all local and global button page settings.

In any event, I'll have a look at the way they're currently working and see if anything needs fixing.

Sorry, I've been a bit busy and haven't kept up on the conversation for a few days. What shoelesscraig describes is the issue that I am seeing. I'm editing the external switch buttons on the Buttons page, not the Preset page. My .rjs file is attached on the 5th post of this chain, but here is a description of what I have:

"Buttons" tab
- Page 1 (No Name - Button functions include presets, tap tempo, tuner, and a few IA buttons for loops or other page access)
- Ext Sw 1 = Bank Up
- Ext Sw 2 = Bank Down
- External switches work as desired.
- Page 2 (Loops - IA buttons for loop 1-10 on/off and return to Page 1)
- Ext Sw 1 = Page 4 (Midi Pedals)
- Ext Sw 2 = Tap Tempo
- External switches do not work. When pressed, the screen displays the function I've specified but nothing physically happens.
- Page 3 (Switches - Standard functionality)
- Ext Sw 1 = Page 4 (Midi Pedals)
- Ext Sw 2 = Tap Tempo
- External switches do not work. When pressed, the screen displays the function I've specified but nothing physically happens.
- Page 4 (Midi Pedals - Custom page I created to send PC + and - messages to individual midi pedals, along with access to other pages)
- Ext Sw 1 = Page 2 (Loops)
- Ext Sw 2 = Tap Tempo
- Page 5 (No Name - Nearly standard Page 1 from RJM. Created just in case something goes wrong with my normal setup.)
- Ext Sw 1 = Page 2 (Loops)
- Ext Sw 2 = Tap Tempo

Thanks for looking into this! It's certainly not the end of the world that this doesn't work. I still have ways to do all I need to do. I was just excited about the chance for a little more efficiency.

Just to tie a bow on this thread, I finally got a chance to update firmware and v4.0.9 seems to have fixed the issue. Looking at the release notes, it seems it was done a couple versions ago but I missed those releases. Thanks RJM for the great support, as usual!

Back