External tempo

does the axe-fx report the tempo of a selected preset to your mastermind? if so, then sending midi clock and preset changes to the axe-fx directly (use a midi merge box to merge the two midi cables) should work.

i'm sorry, i know ableton and mastermind well, but don't own a axe-fx!

Im using this track sent via usb to the mmgt. The track is controlling a button named tempo. The tempo on the mmgt is set to 'off' so that the numeric value isnt shown, just the flashes. I have the button set to be black when on, and the envelope shown makes the light blink faster on the last beat. This effectively shows me beat 4, giving notice when beat one is coming. Youll notice the envelope i have drawn is a little before the beat. This accomodates the latency, so the flash is on time. The axe is actaully synced to the daw THRU the mmgt with bi-di midi. I have no need to sync ableton to the mmgt or axe, so INPUT sync is off. Controlling patches is simple. You can assign a message to a button and send that program change thru the mmgt. If you are seeing double tempo, you probably have 2 tempo commands coming in at same time. Try turning OFF the tempo in the mmgt, it still passes tempo, it just doesnt create its own.

Attachments

• tempo track.JPG
    tempo track.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 4
Last news after a day of work .... and play guitar (to change)
Your tempo track is awesome. I copied it, and it's really nice to follow.
I was with the midi remote input, and took a lot of time to hunderstand how to introduce by the USB (Midi port in device page). Now it works.
I turn off the tempo in the MMGT. It's ok, I have now no double flash.
But I can't find how sync my AxeFx. I'll see that next week-end (before seeing Dream-Theater in Paris ;-) )

you set ableton to 'sync' the mastermind, but set the mmgt to NO tempo. The sync still gets passed thru to the axe unit, tho the mmgt ignores it. When using the tempo flash, i found it redundant to also 'sync' the mmgt. With the tempo button set to black when on, the light flashes are so easily seen, i can use for referance out corner of my eye. fwiw, i use purple for tempo light off, black for on and i draw the envelope inverse. Your latency settings and color choice may require fine adjustments to accommodate. I just chose cc#1 to make it easy to remember. If that conflicts, you can always choose another, just remember to change the button command on mmgt as well. I have to treat the axe as tho its the mmgt when it comes to where midi gets sent, I use the usb for audio to the axe only, I have found the axe doesnt like you overloading its midi inputs. By NOT using the axe directly with midi, it also reduces chance for loop back midi issues. I am pretty sure i have the mmgt set to midi merge as well. Perhaps thats the detail that lets the clock thru.

Last edited:
... but set the mmgt to NO tempo.
You mean 'Midi clock' in global page ? I let it Off
Midi merge is on / Remote mode is off / I just see a checkbox '' calculate tempo from flashes'' it's off. I'll have to try it.
But.... I call my button CC# toggle on channel 2 (also Ableton) in order to have no action in the AxeFx. The AxeFx is on Channel 1...

Im looking at mine at the moment and I misled you. I have the midi setting to 'slave' not off. I do apologize for making something confusing, even worse. I suspect that since Im not showing tempo on any buttons, the mmgt IS slaving to the daw and in turn, the axe slaves to that. Very sorry, i had forgotten. I rely on the flashes not tempo numbers, so i had forgotten the mmgt is actually slaved too. Merge ON, remote OFF, midi rx channel NONE, Midi Bidir ON, clock SLAVE. The buttons recognize the messages per button and channel, so having the mmgt set for recieve channel may not apply. It works w/o a channel set on mine. I dont think the axe channel matters, I think it slaves to incoming clock regardless. I ended up using the usb IN on the mmgt and the bidir midi out to the axe. Not using any interfaces so far. I dont send ANY midi to the axe via daw, it all comes thru the mmgt. When i use the axe usb for audio, it still dont engage any midi in ableton to it. The axe seemed a tad finicky when using usb to run audio and midi. Kind of one or the other.

Last edited:
Back