(Finally) on to 2.0...

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
GT firmware 2.0 development is finally underway. I've got a big, big feature list, but I should ask: does anyone have any features they really need or want to have implemented? I can't promise everything will get done, but requests will definitely have some effect on how I prioritize things.

UPDATE:

Here are some things that will definitely be in 2.0:

- Page per preset
- Hold button for 2nd function
- IA Cycle button - switch between 4 different steps
- Upgrade to 640 presets (to allow for Axe-Fx II XL and Kemper's performance mode)
- External switch settings for each preset
- Improved Kemper performance mode integration - preset names are downloaded on the fly
- Improvements to remote mode (using more than one GT together) - better synchronization of tap tempo, tuner display and other advanced features. Also synchronizes bank selection's visual display
- Sysex messages
- Setlist Menu button allows you to select a setlist without entering setup mode
- Preset Number button pops up a screen number buttons to allow you to type in a preset number
- Using the Preset Menu, Preset Number, Song Menu or Setlist Menu switches into or out of song/setlist mode as appropriate and selects the correct setlist if needed
- Adjustable time period for hold buttons and repeating buttons
- Preset switching time is greatly reduced
- And of course, various bug fixes

Page per preset? lol JK Great news!

Lots of ideas but will very stoked even with page per preset.

One thing that would be cool that I just thought about the other day. Having some system buttons or functions available for button layout.

Maybe being able to change midi clock from master to slave for example. Gettin too old to bend down and go through menus. Going to a page set up for more system related functions and kicking a button is easier.

Would love a global clock mode button, to change from global/tap to preset or back. I have some patches set up for specific songs. However when jamming working up new material i would be cool if:

Say am using a generic type preset not set to any song or tempo. I tap a tempo say 115, and while jamming decide a preset I use in another tune would be cool, but it is saved with different tempo say 80 bpm. If I could go to my systems page and kick a button that makes tap the global clock setting, I then go to the preset with a bpm of 80 and the global setting overrides the saved tempo. I can then easily go back to where presets are the global pref.

Hi Ron,

I’d love to be have a button type that:

Switches modes (to song mode, to setlist mode, to preset mode, to select Selects set lists).

This would let me easily switch from song mode to preset mode on the fly.

I would also love if the off / on colors followed the preset so that in song mode, where the number of presets changes depending on how many presets I have for a given song, I can make the cleans green, the bridges Yellow, the dirtys red, etc. In my old age, it’s harder to read the screens. It would be cool to be able to look down and see green green yellow red at a glance because I have two clean presets a bridge preset and a lead preset for one song and then red yellow green in the next song because it starts out dirty then medium then clean (does anyone start out dirty and end clean? I digress). Etc.

Currently, if i have a button defined as green then it’s green no matter what preset is under it.

It’s the little things.

Thanks, Ron. You’re the best!

Alex

I mentioned this in another thread but it'd be awesome to have a visual on the main screen that shows the expression pedal value while you're changing it. Simple vertical progress bar with integer that times out after a second or so.

Also....this is kind of over the top but I think it should have a cool boot up light-show sequence, kind of like the Axe FX II's. I mean come on, this thing is already super flashy, there's no hiding it. Why not right? :cool: I've actually gotten this suggestion from other people :lol:

AlexMania said:
Hi Ron,

I’d love to be have a button type that:

Switches modes (to song mode, to setlist mode, to preset mode, to select Selects set lists).

This would let me easily switch from song mode to preset mode on the fly.

I would also love if the off / on colors followed the preset so that in song mode, where the number of presets changes depending on how many presets I have for a given song, I can make the cleans green, the bridges Yellow, the dirtys red, etc. In my old age, it’s harder to read the screens. It would be cool to be able to look down and see green green yellow red at a glance because I have two clean presets a bridge preset and a lead preset for one song and then red yellow green in the next song because it starts out dirty then medium then clean (does anyone start out dirty and end clean? I digress). Etc.

Currently, if i have a button defined as green then it’s green no matter what preset is under it.

It’s the little things.

Thanks, Ron. You’re the best!

Alex

Similar to what I was asking for. Basically some functions in the system menu being able to be assigned to buttons for easier access etc.

I guess you can't publish the list of probable 2.0 features you already plan. You've been collecting for a while; maybe the things below are already on your list?

The 1.4 addition of Page Menu and Preset Menu are great, but they eliminate the Page/Store button and I'm REALLY missing that. Being able to hold down a button to save the current state of affairs on the fly so I could return to it was a great feature, would like to get it back.

Being able to assign "hold down" secondary behaviors to buttons would overall be really great. When you "hold down" a button it will do something, and/or if you tap it twice quickly it will do something.

One of the "somethings" in addition to Store could be "Escape", or "I screwed up, go back to where I was before I hit that button". Even if only one step back was possible it would be a savior at times. Currently it's easy to make an error getting into preset mode and the only way to get out is to select a preset. If you want to escape gracefully without changing the sound, finding the preset you're on to select it again can be quite a dance sometimes.

boyscout said:
I guess you can't publish the list of probable 2.0 features you already plan. You've been collecting for a while; maybe the things below are already on your list?

The 1.4 addition of Page Menu and Preset Menu are great, but they eliminate the Page/Store button and I'm REALLY missing that. Being able to hold down a button to save the current state of affairs on the fly so I could return to it was a great feature, would like to get it back.

Good point, in the top post I have added a short list of key features I'm sure I'm adding to 2.0. I haven't listed many yet, but will add to the list as I become more certain what's really going in to this release.

Page and Preset menu don't actually eliminate Page/Store, right? You can have both on a page (although I can see why you might not want to allocate another button to get both functions). The general "hold for 2nd function" you mention is happening and should solve this for you - you could assign any button to have "hold to store" functionality.

BTW, thanks everyone for posting your ideas here, even if you posted them elsewhere in the past. It would take a lot of time to scan through the forum and collect all the ideas - time better spent programming!

I had posted a bunch of ideas and was going to copy them over here but to me page per preset is the biggy. Anything else is gravy and can wait till 2.1 2.5 or 3.0. . . .lol.

However just now I was thinking about something that would be very cool. Being able assign a tempo to a song rather than preset or more correctly in addition to presets.
Last night I was working with a preset that I use a 120, and somehow wound up with it at 80. A buddy was over and he really loved how it sounded slow, and we worked up a new song idea. It would be cool to just have the same generic preset, and then f that patch is used in a song, create a song with correct BPM for each.

Added benefit if one uses 3-4 patches in a song, setting BPM once and possibly saving having multiple copies of patches where only BPM changes. Of course one can tap in tempos but many would tend to tap faster live than when recording lol. . . ..

Hi,

I would love to have the capability for a button to cycle through several midi cc's and text displays then wrap around to the first. for example: button displays 3/4, keep pressing it and it will display 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 7/4 then back to 3/4, each with a different midi action for each press...it could be selectable as a button action (PC, TOGGLE, MOMENTARY, "CYCLE")

thanks,
Kurt

I'm working on it all the time, but some of the changes are pretty involved and have required going back to the drawing board several times. Hoping for a alpha-ish test version in about 2 weeks.

As mentioned in your list Ron, external switch settings per preset would be awesome. If this could make it possible for each external switch to send different messages per preset this could open up some very cool momentary effect possibilities.

For example, i use two modified G Lab wah pads (mounted under my expression pedals) as external switches, so if these could send different midi messages per preset that would be killer!

Hey Ron,

It would be great to have a page in the editor that was a list of all assigned buttons with their info, as a list. right now i am having to check buttons one by one to see which midi cc's are not taken already. would be great to see all button assignments as a list...

thanks,
Kurt

Just a quick update for the interested... The firmware is ready for beta test, now I'm working on the matching editor changes, which should take substantially less time (1-2 weeks unless there's a major catastrophe). Once I have both done, I'll post the beta before I start working on the manual update.

rjmmusic said:
Just a quick update for the interested... The firmware is ready for beta test, now I'm working on the matching editor changes, which should take substantially less time (1-2 weeks unless there's a major catastrophe). Once I have both done, I'll post the beta before I start working on the manual update.

Count me as interested! Dying to see the new stuff. My rig gets more complicated each week and will really need page per preset!!!!

BTW, since my connection with the editor doesn't appear to be working and I need to use memory sticks anyway. . . . . . .should you need a beta tester. . . . . . .lol. . .

rjmmusic said:

Awesome!

rjmmusic said:

cant wait!! Thanks Ron!

Back