For the brave: 1.4alpha1 - MIDI clock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clock is just another MIDI command - same pins, same everything.

Ok, maybe we've found a difference between the Pro and HD500. My HD500 will definitely not update its clock without hitting a bank or preset button.

Can you get me a MIDI dump of what's coming out of Maschine? If you have a Mac, MIDI Monitor will allow you to examine commands that are being sent to a particular MIDI port. On a PC, you probably have to use MIDI-OX and a MIDI loopback program like LoopBe.

Yes, I would imagine that typing in a BPM number for each preset would be way it would work. That shouldn't be too hard to do.

rjmmusic said:
Clock is just another MIDI command - same pins, same everything.

Ok, maybe we've found a difference between the Pro and HD500. My HD500 will definitely not update its clock without hitting a bank or preset button.

Can you get me a MIDI dump of what's coming out of Maschine? If you have a Mac, MIDI Monitor will allow you to examine commands that are being sent to a particular MIDI port. On a PC, you probably have to use MIDI-OX and a MIDI loopback program like LoopBe.

Yes, I would imagine that typing in a BPM number for each preset would be way it would work. That shouldn't be too hard to do.

I will try to do this tomorrow. We are actually packing up to go home after three months so if I wake up late or get busy I may not get to it. Prettys sure I ave midi ox on my PC or ad at one point. I also have a macbook with me so can FL MIDI monitor as it seems more straightforward.

I will be ordering a POD 500x tomorrow and will check if the midi is different on that. Very weird that Pro and 500 function differently as they have same DSP etc.

Took me a while to get to it since I had to get my Pod HD pro out from being first in the network since it doesn't pass midi thru.

Seems to work perfectly. The pod hd pro, an M5 and the two eventides Factors \happily sync up. Very cool.

Hmmm... maybe this is a firmware version issue on the HD Pro and/or HD500? I'll check my HD500 when I get a chance.

One thing I am finding as I pay more attention is that when first tapping in a tempo is that the devices are hunting around a little bit as they settle onto the tempo. This comes out as a little glitching/warbling in the repeats for the timefactor in the echoes. Sometimes it goes all over the place. i.e. down to 50 and up to 300 when tapping in around 100bpm. So I don't know if this is the timefactor's reaction to clock input or how the MMGT is sending. This didn't happen when sending tempos via CC.

I'm watching the HD pro's tempo via Line 6 edit and watching the M5 on it's screen and they both settle in on pretty close to the same value (within 0.5 bpm) fairly quickly but not quite as quickly as when sending CC. Not sure why their values are different either.

So, while it seems to work fairly well for basics like time-synching effects, I'm wondering if problems would arise in more complicated syncing, like samplers etc. Not sure. I'll play around with midi-ox and see what I can see.

edit: midi-ox shows that the tempo coming out of the MMGT is varying a bit. I'm watching it oscillate between 99 and 100. Sometimes dipping to 97.

Wow, I've been using Midi-Ox for a zillion years, and I never noticed that it had clock support (although I've never needed clock support until now)

It does appear that the GT's clock output is a little less stable than, say, a Timefactor's clock output. I'll have to look into this and see what can be done. The GT is more than fast enough to do the job properly, so there must be some error in there causing the timing to be off.

Also, using Midi-Ox, I sent clock signals to a Timefactor and it does seem to take time to settle into a tempo once the clock changes. Unfortunately, I think we're going to run into a lot of situations like this where different devices handle the clock signal with differing degrees of accuracy. All I can do is make the GT's output as stable as possible and make it handle a clock input as well as possible, and hopefully the third party devices will work well enough for everything to sync up well.

rjmmusic said:
Wow, I've been using Midi-Ox for a zillion years, and I never noticed that it had clock support (although I've never needed clock support until now)

It does appear that the GT's clock output is a little less stable than, say, a Timefactor's clock output. I'll have to look into this and see what can be done. The GT is more than fast enough to do the job properly, so there must be some error in there causing the timing to be off.

Also, using Midi-Ox, I sent clock signals to a Timefactor and it does seem to take time to settle into a tempo once the clock changes. Unfortunately, I think we're going to run into a lot of situations like this where different devices handle the clock signal with differing degrees of accuracy. All I can do is make the GT's output as stable as possible and make it handle a clock input as well as possible, and hopefully the third party devices will work well enough for everything to sync up well.

I don't think too much gear responds to drastic clock changes on the fly too well. In the scenario where GT is master, having it send clock out to devices at a pr determined BPM or after tapping in as well as sending clock to a device that can give a drummer a click, is what most want/need.
In my case my roland v drums can sync to the clock from GT and drumemr hears click in his headphones or in ears. Next song, I click new preset and he gets new tempo. IMHO better than he having to remember tempo for each song and dialing it in manually between songs etc.

Ron, it does not seem to take any longer to sync up (for me anyways), going thru MMGT, than going direct from MIDI clock source to Eventides ...but then I have not tried using tap tempo from MMGT yet ...just been changing tempo at MIDI clock master source ...one thing I was wondering about for the future: do you think you might be incorporating a BPM readout on MMGT?

I was wrong. My HD Pro doesn't update the tempo until you change preset as well. The time showing in Line 6 edit updates right away but the hardware doens't.

tired_engineer said:
I was wrong. My HD Pro doesn't update the tempo until you change preset as well. The time showing in Line 6 edit updates right away but the hardware doens't.

Totally bizarre as mine updates in quasi realtime from other clock sources but doesn't update ever from GT.

I'm most of the way through implementing BPM settings in each preset, and am still investigating how I can make the clock output more stable.

Some of you mentioned BPM display. Is this something that needs to stay on the screen, or should it only pop up for a short while when the clock changes (like the Timefactor does)? I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

rjmmusic said:
I'm most of the way through implementing BPM settings in each preset, and am still investigating how I can make the clock output more stable.

Some of you mentioned BPM display. Is this something that needs to stay on the screen, or should it only pop up for a short while when the clock changes (like the Timefactor does)? I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

Either in the corner of the main display at all times or, if possible, that the label for a tap tempo button, could be made dynamic to display the current BPM rather than a static label.

tired_engineer said:
rjmmusic said:

Either in the corner of the main display at all times or, if possible, that the label for a tap tempo button, could be made dynamic to display the current BPM rather than a static label.

I agree. I think that is best in master mode which I think most may wind up using. If the GT was syncing to clock, it may be more difficult to have it potentially have to continously update. In master mode I may set BPM for each preset and the GT sends click to drummer. The only time I would change the BPM would be if jamming or playing a new song where tapping tempo is required. That would still be only one change.

Either on tap led or main lcd would be fine. The main LCD has a lot of unused real estate.

+1 to tired_engineer ... main display or tap button display, either would work great.

If it was a choice, I'd probably go for the tap button display only cos that seems an appropriate place to show the BPM (ie. over the button you'd use to change the tempo if you needed to on the fly). But that's just a personal thing - either of those options would be great.

There's now a beta release of 1.4, so I'm locking this thread. All comments and questions should go in the new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back