Function button - setting to tap tempo

mcvittym

The Mastermind PBC is fantastic! However, I'm having a problem with programming the function button. It came set to switch on the global preset. I can't find anything in the OS X app to program it, but when I used the setup menu on the PBC itself to change it to a tap tempo button, it started operating as a tap tempo but also retained the 'global preset' property. I then tried programming it to switch on a (non existent) mini effect gizmo and then reprogrammed it to be a tap tempo button. It seems to be 'stuck' as a mini effect gizmo button and I can no longer access either the global preset or the tap tempo using the function button.

I am currently connected to the Mac via USB and am running the PBC editor in a Mac OS X session. I'm running firmware 1.0.2 on the PBC.

Can you help, Ron?

Thanks

Martin

Unfortunately, the "quick setup" options for the Function button are not yet in the editor. You would have to do the change on the PBC itself, then read the settings in the editor.

Alternately, all you need to do is turn on the "Flash w/ tempo" checkbox, and delete any IA actions that are on the button. That will make it a tempo button. Also, make sure to set MIDI Clock to Master on the MIDI tab.

I couldn't get the double click and right mouse button functions on page 1 of the buttons menu to work with the function button position earlier but it worked just now.

I did as you said and then using the setup menu on the PBC itself was able to get the tap tempo to work!

Thanks

Martin

As a matter of interest, I used midi clock functionality to do tap tempo with the eventide h9 and found that tap tempo worked better by sending a CC message. When the PBC was a midi clock master the Eventides were unable to average the taps and so it sped up and slowed down rapidly as I tapped. Although I didn't try the filter function in the PBC.

+1 for the tap averaging. Should be a pretty easy bit of code to implement since so many other devices do this.

I'm not a fan of tap tempo averaging. "Last two taps" is a better approach as it ignores early taps (which may well be inaccurate until your tapping is even), and is easier to adjust the tempo on the fly without having to tap several times. Most popular FX units, eg TC stuff, use last 2 taps. So, a "no" vote from me on this one.

Most popular FX units, eg TC stuff, use last 2 taps. So, a "no" vote from me on this one.
For the record almost every popular FX unit uses tap averaging including TC, Strymon, Eventide, Empress, etc. Typically how it works is 2 taps will set the tempo to those 2 taps but if you tap 4 or more times it will use the average of the last 4 taps.

But it should be pretty easy to make this optional. So you could turn on/off tap averaging.

Ok, question... I use a TimeFactor delay,and witzh an external tap switch I can tap it in tempo to the click track and the TF never waivers more than a couple BPM. Using the function switch for tap tempo, and tapping with the click track, TF jumps around... I might want 125 BPM, but i might get 120, 129, 125, 117, 125 with five taps of the function switch. Basically I have to have cat-like reflexes to stop at the right tempo, but even then, I can almost never get the exact tempo I want. For example, I can tap 144 and 150, but never 142, 146, or 148. I started music as a drummer, and I think I'm still pretty locked in regarding tempo. I have midi clock filter set to on in the TF. Am I doing something wrong?

Back