FX loop volume on PBC/6X to fix BigSky clipping

mattytraxx

Here is my (test) signal chain:

PBC Ins S/R <---> Kemper
PBC SND/RET 1 <---> BigSky

I have the loop order so that this is effectively:

IN ---> Kemper Profiling Amplifier ---> BigSky ---> OUT

With this setup, the BigSky clips pretty hard. It seems that the BigSky can't take the volume level that the Kemper outputs at 0.0dB, despite the fact that the Strymon FAQ states that the BigSky can handle "+8dBu instrument or line level." I'm wondering if the PBC has any tricks that might help with this problem. If I put the BigSky in the FX loop of the Kemper, the BigSky doesn't clip. But I wouldn't own a PBC if I wanted to run things that way; I want to run the Kemper as an amp+cab and run that through several FX loops on the PBC.

It would be nice if the PBC could be configured to attenuate the SEND to instrument level before it goes to the BigSky in order to prevent clipping. Then it should bump the RETURN level back up by the same amount. That way there would be no perceived volume loss, and the gain staging would be correct. Is there anyway on the PBC to configure this?

How are people running low volume pedals like the BigSky in FX loops on the PBC--is everyone really turning down the Kemper by 6-15dB?

(By the way, the Strymon Volante does not have this problem; I can run the Kemper into the Volante at max volume and it doesn't clip.)

Sorry, the PBC has no level adjusting ability. The level adjustments will need to be done in the Kemper itself or with other outboard gear.

If you hold Switch C while powering up the Big Sky, you can enter a Test mode which will allow you to see the incoming signal level. When you're in Test mode, turn the Type knob until the display shows Level and push the encoder.

I had difficulty with this running the BigSky as an insert in my studio and this helped me set the levels.

Back