Get Preset Names Axe FX II

seattleguitarist

I have tried everything i can think of and everything i have read either in the manual or on this forum and i cannot get the preset names from the axe fx ii to the mastermind gt22. I have tried using a 5 pin midi cable, a 7 pin midi cable, turning off midi thru on the axe fx, turning on and off incoming pc change on the mastermind, turning on and off the cc change on the mastermind, nothing is working. I cannot get the preset names. What else should i try?

Thank you,
Chris

Your cables may have 5 or 7 pins on the plugs but do they have 5 or 7 wires running through them - many 5 pin cables have 3 wires only as that is all the midi standard calls for. I use a HOSA 5 pin cable and it does the trick. Try a different cable if you think this could be the issue.

Is bidirectional communication definitely turned on in the GT settings?

Is your Axefx II a MkI/II or XL? The XL is apparently not working with this feature atm.

AFAIK retrieving the preset names itself uses sysex commands so cc and pc change settings on the mastermind won't affect this.

I used the hosa 5 pin cable as well. The only reason I tried the 7 pin is because the 5 pin wasn't working. The bi-directional was definitely turned on. I am using the axe fx ii. The only reason I tried changing the PC and CC settings was desperation, just trying anything I could think of. I am at a loss. Thanks for your response.

One other thing I can think of - Is your Axe Fx II set up as an Axe Fx II device in the GT? If it's generic or set up as a Ultra or Standard it probably would still work fine regarding preset and effect changes but the preset name grabbing likely wouldn't work due to different sysex IDs.

Are the other bidirectional functions working (effect block status display, tuner, tempo)? If not, there's a general MIDI problem with the return path. If only "get preset names" isn't working, it's probably settings related. Make sure "Send Redundant PCs" is turned ON in the GT's settings for the Axe-Fx, and that "Ignore Redundant PCs" is turned off in the Axe's MIDI settings. I haven't fully investigated it yet, but those settings may interfere with Get Preset Names.

Cool. I will put in a fix in the GT to not require a specific setting for redundant PCs.

Back