Ground loops

I'd like to throw this out there and HOPEFULLY someone can help me find this one last hum...

I have a rack setup like this:

Furmann Power conditioner
Alesis MEQ-230
Alesis Midiverb 4
RG-16
Behringer Tuner BT-2000

Stomp Boxes, pedals, and whatnot on the bottom.

All pieces of equipment are powered through either a Voodoo Labs Power Plus AC or a BBE Supacharger (depending on DC or AC power, etc.). These are both plugged into the Furhmann.

I started out with some REMARKABLE hum -- truly nothing that could be ignored, much less played through.

After making some high-quality cables (thanks for your tips, guys) and mounting everything with humfrees I was able to quiet my rig to dead silence -- except the MEQ-230. Being 2 EQs, there is an input and output for each channel. I'm thinking that I need to cut the ground of **some** of the audio cables going into it... my first question is, which ones? Both inputs? Both outputs? Cut 3 of the 4? I know one needs to be left intact, correct?

Also, if this doesn't work, any other plausable solutions? Thanks, folks.

I'd try either both inputs or both outputs first. If that doesn't help, try 3 out of 4. Is the MEQ mains powered or on an adaptor?

A Hum Eliminator is a good thing to have around for debugging purposes. I'd give it a try.

Back