GT/16 with Kemper effects

adcarbonel

Hello! I'm about to dive into the MIDI world and try out a kemper. If you're using these two together, please post a pic and a bit about how you're using them! Thanks!!

I don't have a recent shot of my rig (I just rebuilt it), but here's my signal chain (I'll get into MIDI in a moment):

Guitar (wired) or Line 6 G50 (wireless unit, mounted underneath my board) into an Analog Endeavors A/B box
-> Volume pedal (well, I had a volume pedal here, but I replaced it with a smaller unit, and the replacement had a bad buffer and sounded like a dying 9V, so no pedal at the moment)
-> Morley Bad Horsie wah (original version)
-> RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, with the following pedals:
  1. Shift Line Termofuzz (though I'm debating moving this to the end)
  2. Six Degrees FX Sally Drive v1
  3. Foxpedal The City Overdrive, boost enabled
  4. Addrock Ol' Yeller
  5. (not in use)
-> Kemper (mounted in a 6U shallow rack)

From the Kemper, I'm using a stereo FX Loop out (usually in the X or Mod slot) to the following pedals, also mounted in my rack:
-> Strymon Timeline
-> Strymon BigSky

Everything on my board is powered by two Strymon Ojais.

With the Kemper, I use performance mode exclusively to organize my presets, though I don't use it in the "traditional" way (where one might generally use individual performances per song). For example, I have performance 1 (slots/PC 1-5) set up with Vox AC-30 rigs with various effects and gain levels, performance 2 (slots/PC 6-10) is set up with Matchless sounds, performance 3 set up with acoustic sounds, performance 4 set up with 80's metal sounds, performance 5 is modern metal/djent type sounds, performance 6 is jazzy sounds, etc.

The way I have my MMGT set up is to dial in the PC for the Kemper for each preset I build. For the pedals in the Mini Effect Gizmo, I have individual buttons on the first page to turn them on or off, so no PCs need to be configured for that - just toggle whichever buttons I want when building it out. I also have individual button pages set up for my presets on the Timeline and the BigSky, so I can set them up when building each preset without having to remember a couple dozen (yes, I use a lot of different delays and reverbs!) PCs for each device. It also allows me to flip between device settings nicely within any preset. There's also an on/off (basically each pedal's "bypass" parameter programmed in reverse) for the Timeline and the BigSky, so I can toggle those individually when building out presets. I'll likely do the same for the Kemper PCs eventually too.

I don't really use the Kemper IA buttons that often, but I can just press the IA Mode button to get to them if I need to. Toggles for my drive pedals, the Timeline, BigSky, a collection of presets, tap tempo, and bank up/down buttons are what stay on my main page. I use a lot of presets, but if I'm just flipping on one additional device at a time (say, my low-gain Sally Drive is already on, but I want more, I'll flip on the City Drive), I don't build out presets for those.

I also have an Analog Endeavors custom switch box with two additional buttons (as if 22 wasn't enough!) and a Mission expression pedal. I pretty much never use the button on the expression pedal, and it's set to control volume post-amp, pre-FX section, so I can swell in certain sounds with the delays and reverbs. Maybe if I ever dive into the Kemper's new delays in depth I'll use some morphing and finally use that button on the expression pedal, but, for now, I don't.

As far as the MIDI routing is concerned, the MMGT uses the remote in (which also works as an out... that's a little confusing!) to the Mini Effect Gizmo to control that. I'm powering the MMGT via the phantom power adapter/box, so I have a 7-PIN MIDI going from the MMGT to my rack into that box. From there, the OUT side goes to the Timeline and the BigSky, then into the Kemper's IN, and the Kemper's OUT goes back to the IN of the phantom power box.

For me, this setup allows me to dial in a nearly infinite combinations of sounds based on who I'm playing with and for what occasions. Generally it's a worship team I play with, and having layers of overdrive allows me to customize what sound I'm getting without having to set up a dozen profiles in the Kemper that all sound just slightly different. It also allows me to make a change to, say, a compressor on the Kemper, without having to change dozens of profiles, or add whatever delay I want without changing my sound. Then, when I get home and want to work on my prog/post-rock/metal solo project, I dial up the profile I want and I'm good to go.

I'm sure your setup might not be as complex, but there's a LOT you can do with the MMGT. It's, hands down, the best controller on the market, and the Kemper has the best amp sounds out there (though I find the effects lacking). If you're flipping through a lot of presets, or have more than 3 or 4 sounds, having the displays/scribbles above each button is essential - it makes my life so much easier.

Last edited:
-> RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, with the following pedals:
  1. Shift Line Termofuzz (though I'm debating moving this to the end)
  2. Six Degrees FX Sally Drive v1
  3. Foxpedal The City Overdrive, boost enabled
  4. Addrock Ol' Yeller
  5. (not in use)
-> Kemper (mounted in a 6U shallow rack)

From the Kemper, I'm using a stereo FX Loop out (usually in the X or Mod slot) to the following pedals, also mounted in my rack:
-> Strymon Timeline
-> Strymon BigSky
Hi Doug, this in an impressive setup. I'm using Kemper (Preformance mode only), MiniEffect Gizmo with few boost and dist pedals and MMGT16 as midi controler as well. The MiniGizmo is connected with the "direct out/send and return" of the Kemper. I'm using stomp C (Loop Distortion) to dial in after Stomp A (Wah) and Stomp B (Comp). Stomp D is all time configured with the NoiseGate.
As you are describing, you're dialing in your Timeline and BigSky in MOD/X section. Where do you dial in your stomp boxes via Gizmo? As I understand, with Kemper you can only use one or the other, so X/MOD or the stomp section?
I've a Neo Ventilator (Rotary/Leslie), which is far better than the build in Kemper one. But should be in FX loop. So how would you recommend to connect this piece? Any trick you know?

Rgds
Reiner

Back