GT16 Display Issue

satch4u3

Last night at a gig each of the displays stopped displaying text. They were all on but not text on any kind on the displays.

I've been using the GT16 for quite some time and this is the first time the issue has ever happened. Not sure if this had anything to do with it or not, but the only difference last night in my setup was that for the first time ever, I used one of the two accessory power ports on the back of the GT16 to power a BOSS TU2. Which was working great. When the issue occurred and multiple restarts didn't work, I left the GT16 powered on and we went to break. After about 30 min when I returned to the stage the displays were miraculously working. Any ideas what would cause this?

My setup: I am using a GT16 with an Axe Fx 3 and I have an RJM phantom power adapter box that powers the GT16 over 7 pin midi.

Last edited:
It definitely sounds like a power issue. What power supply are you using to power the GT? And, what kind of 7-pin cable are you using (brand and length)?

The power supply being used is what came with the phantom power box (pic below). As for the midi cable; it’s a shielded 20’ and I am pretty sure that I purchased it through you guys when I purchased the unit. I think! Can’t be certain on that as it’s been a while. Pic below as well. Not certain of the brand as it’s wrapped in sheathing, along with an xlr cable.

Attachments

• A0B46924-F45D-47D9-A308-1F1D10A4EF52.jpeg
    A0B46924-F45D-47D9-A308-1F1D10A4EF52.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • 8071CEA2-B7DA-449B-A6E5-25D0096C6A27.jpeg
    8071CEA2-B7DA-449B-A6E5-25D0096C6A27.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 24A69D27-EB73-49D0-B804-AB78233F8BF7.jpeg
    24A69D27-EB73-49D0-B804-AB78233F8BF7.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
The power supply looks correct and the cable does look like one of ours. The TU-2 doesn't draw that much current, so I would be surprised if it was the culprit. But it's possible, I suppose.

Do you have a lot of LCDs set to display in white? That color draws the most current of all the backlight colors. Red, blue and green draw the least, white draws the most, and the other colors are in the middle. I've seen some cases where the system is fine except when the switch to a menu or page where most of the displays are white.

At this point, just keep watching it and see if it happens again. If you have the time to mess with it, it would be good to try to move the power supply to the GT itself and see if the problem persists.

I don’t have white in any of the setups/pages in my GT16. For the most parts it’s green, red, blue and purple.

Good idea. I will keep an eye on it and try moving the power supply to the GT16 if the issue persists. Thanks for the quick reply.

Back