Help My Parallel Routing Ignorance

middle_pickup

This copy started as an email to RJM, but I'm not sure if I'm able to explain my question very well. I figured posting here instead would allow for others to help me understand easier my answer than a convoluted thread of 20 back and forth emails might. I also want others to have this information...

I'm trying to better wrap my mind around the parallel effects routing. I have a Timeline, and a Flint. I know the Timeline will adapt to a parallel set up pretty well because it has a kill dry feature. The Flint doesn't though. After looking into it I think the only real option is to leave the Flint in series. My question is how will this sound? With the Timeline set up in parallel, and the Flint in series do you get much benefit of the SINGLE parallel loop? I'm wondering if I should look for another reverb with the kill dry feature. I really like the Flint though! If I keep my board like this, and run the Flint in series behind the Timeline in parallel will the delay repeats be reverberated, or will only my dry signal?

You'll still get some benefit from running one pedal in parallel - for example, you can keep the Timeline's delay trails when switching it off. With the Flint in series and first, the reverb from the Flint will be repeated in the Timeline delays.

You'll still get some benefit from running one pedal in parallel - for example, you can keep the Timeline's delay trails when switching it off. With the Flint in series and first, the reverb from the Flint will be repeated in the Timeline delays.
I actually plan on setting the Flint in loop 10, and the Timeline in loop 8, or 9. With the Flint in series, and the TImeline in parallel will the repeats still be reverberated?

With the Flint in series and the Timeline in parallel, you won't get any effect from the Flint at all. Series pedals that come after the last parallel pedal will be cut out of the signal chain, except when all of the parallel loops are turned off.

With the Flint in series and the Timeline in parallel, you won't get any effect from the Flint at all. Series pedals that come after the last parallel pedal will be cut out of the signal chain, except when all of the parallel loops are turned off.
Oh, that blows! Lol

Thanks for clearing that up! I guess I'll have to lose the Flint.

But what if he were to put the Flint and the Timeline in let's say loop 9 and 10, set them both to parallel, and then turn off the dry signal on the PBC? Neither should be affecting each other, and he would still have a dry signal present from the Flint which can't be set to kill dry.

But what if he were to put the Flint and the Timeline in let's say loop 9 and 10, set them both to parallel, and then turn off the dry signal on the PBC? Neither should be affecting each other, and he would still have a dry signal present from the Flint which can't be set to kill dry.

Yes, that's true, that would work. As long as the dry signal is switched in when the TImeline is used by itself, and switched off when the Timeline and Flint are used together, it should all work out...

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but I'm totally new to the PBC and the forum. I am just trying to get my head round the parallel/series options. I thought it seemed appropriate to ask in this existing thread but happy to move it to a new thread if that's the correct etiquette.

I currently have Mobius running in pre/post mode with post in loop 8, Timeline in loop 9 and TC Hall of Fame in 10. I was wondering whether to opt for parallel loops or not.

Without having tried it properly yet it seems to me that I might want series some of the time and parellel at other times. Does that sound reasonable or am I just over complicating the issue?

Is it a case of, if you like parallel loops then you will want them all the time and if you don't you won't want them at all?

If it is reasonable to want to save some presets with say the Timeline in parallel and other presets with the Timeline in series, how would you do it as the kill dry option can't be turned on and off via midi?

The TC HoF requires the flipping of a dip switch inside the pedal so I am likely to need to commit one way or the other for loop 10.

Last edited:

You can have parallel and choose to disengage the dry signal from one of those loops per preset on the PBC. So you can't go from parallel to series but you have the option of either going parallel or going 100% wet at any given time. With something like the H9 where you can set killdry on/off per preset, you could actually go from parallel to series.

Oh dear. Wish you hadnt told me that. I already have serious GAS for an H9 and thats just another reason to buy one ;-)

Back