HELP ...!!! PBC 10 has just died on me ...!

spikeymcspikeface

I was in the process of updating firmware to Vn 4.4.0, had gone into Systems/update firmware, inserted the flashdrive, and then display went blank, buttons all switched off, and the unit became unresponsive. I didn't touch anything for about 10 minutes, knowing you have to allow time for the updating process, even though it was obvious it had died and nothing was happening.

I've tried everything obvious I can think of - on/off/unplugging/plugging back in, checking mains supply, leaving it with flashdrive in/out … nothing. It's just dead, like a fuse has blown or something.

One specific weird thing - if I leave it unplugged for a minute or two and then plug it back it, the display flickers on & off (there's nothing on it, it just lights up briefly); but if I unplug & plug back in straightaway, nothing happens - it needs a minute or two before anything happens. Seems a very odd symptom, might mean nothing, I just have no idea ...

My only vague thought as to what happened is that I think there might have been a mains outage to the board while I was updating - I think I noticed a couple of other pedals flick on/off quickly, but TBH I could well be imagining it in my desperation.

I've been using RJM gear for about a decade so know my round this stuff, and have updated firmware a zillion times without any issues before, so really can't see how that would've caused this - I'm wondering if it's just an unfortunate coincidence and that something else has gone kaput for some reason ...

Any advice please desperately & urgently needed …!

Last edited:
It sounds like something is going on with the power supply in the unit. The LCD backlight is connected directly to the internal power supply, it's not under firmware control, so if it's not on, it's not receiving power.

Please contact us at support@rjmmusic.com and we can discuss options.

Back