How do I setup my MMGT22 to follow my AF3 MK2?

is9582

@rjmmusic

AF3 MK2 FW17.01RC MacMini M1 11.5.2 MMGT22 4.6.3 MMGTEditor 4.6.1
Hello all,

I'm trying to have the included blocks in the presets on my AF3 MK2, have their assigned disengaged colors if they are in the preset but aren't in use, and the engaged color when they are in use, but also completely dark if a given block type is not included in a preset. This is the behavior I experienced with @iaresee settings file, but after manipulating the file, I can not reacquire the same. I've read a great deal of the Wiki, a lot of posts on the forum as well as watching RJM videos, and thought I was starting to understand, hence why I tried to adjust the file for my workflow, but I am obviously I'm still missing certain concepts. I really thought I understood that using Update on Preset Change would cause at least some of this to align.

On another issue, when I try to backup (Save) my GT22, the progress bar makes it to the far right, but I never get an indication that it actually finished, nor that it is safe to remove my thumbdrive. Is this normal?

I'd greatly appreciate assistance.

Thank you in advance,
Lee Laird

This sounds like you don't have bidirectional MIDI set up. You need connections to both the MIDI input and MIDI output of the Axe-Fx, either through two cables to the GT or a phantom power box or MIDI Y cable. These methods are all described in the manual. If you do have it connected via a phantom power box or Y cable, Bidirectional MIDI needs to be turned on in MIDI settings.

Several people have been reporting the save function hanging at the end. I haven't had time to look into it yet, so I recommend backing up using the editor software for now.

Thanks Ron!

As a note, I turned off bidirectional MIDI a day or two ago, as I was having behavior where my GT22 would start jumping around to random presets (or at least that is what was shown on the main screen, even though my AF3 still showed it was on the requested preset.) after turning off bidirectional MIDI, the GT22 displayed only presets when pressing the Presets button (as was programmed) rather than displaying each scene for every preset, as if they were presets.

I am using two separate MIDI cables on my setup currently. I’ll turn bidirectional MIDI back on, and report back if the odd behavior repeats.
Cheers,
Lee Laird

@rjmmusic

Hey Ron,

I went into the GTEditor and turned on Bidirectional MIDI and loaded the file it into my GT22. After loading the new file, I went back through Get Preset Names (for Preset 000 to Preset 039) with Songs turned off and Scenes turned on. I am not seeing any change with the individual LED screens that identify if a block is in the preset, engaged on, or disengaged. I'm attaching images (both of AxeEdit and the GT22) to compare the block's state, as well as my settings file, to identify an issue or user error (highly likely). Growing pains.

Relatedly, the only preset which triggers any of the screens to display as engaged (other than the bottom six scene screens, is the first of my presets, and some of these aren't even included in this preset.

Lee

Attachments

• AE Lead 001.png
    AE Lead 001.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Lead 001.jpeg
    Lead 001.jpeg
    891.1 KB · Views: 2
  • AE Clean CS1 Boost 001.png
    AE Clean CS1 Boost 001.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Clean CS1 boost 001.jpeg
    Clean CS1 boost 001.jpeg
    850.8 KB · Views: 3
  • LL2mmgt22B.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Update on Preset Change has to be turned off for any button you want the Axe-Fx to have control of.

@rjmmusic

On the surface it initially looked great, as the blocks not contained in the preset were indeed dark. After playing some more, I did notice that some of the blocks that initially (correctly) shown as engaged, did not change to show disengaged, even when I chose a scene where the block in question was saved in the disengaged state. As I scrolled through a few more presets, I found at least one where the block states seemed to stay in sync with the stored preset. I’m re-building part of a privacy fence, so I’ll look at everything again with fresh eyes, in a little while.

I have another situation that I can’t wrap my head around, that seems to have at least some connection with the overall scenario. I have a switch (set as system/page:2) just to the left of the main screen, on the fourth row, that was working properly before the last changes, but is no longer an active switch (a.k.a. Dark and does not function when pressed). I’ve compared it’s associated attributes to other “system / page” switches, and I can’t tell any difference (although they may not function now either, as this switch is the one that moves me beyond the first page.)

Ask and I will provide pertinent info.

Cheers,
Lee

edit: I retyped a couple sections in the hopes of making the details more understandable. Late nights followed by early typing, makes a bad mix for this older dude!

Last edited:
Are you referring to the "Lee's >> Pages" button? I want to make sure that I'm looking at the right one.

I tried your settings file here, and the only change I made is to turn off Update on Preset Change on the effect block buttons. All the effect buttons are behaving correctly now, as is the "Lee's" button.

So, we have to figure out what's different between your setup and mine... Can you describe exactly how you have the GT and Axe-Fx connected? Are there any other MIDI devices of any type in the system? And, what version of firmware is on your Axe-Fx?

First off, thank you for getting into the weeds on this with me, and I'll be glad to provide exact connection info.

Just as clarification, I have all of the Update on Preset Change turned off, as you posted after I sent my settings file.

I have no other MIDI devices; just Axe-Fx3 connected to the GT22 with two separate Livewire 5-pin MIDI cables (specifies they are using 5 conductor data cable, as I'm not sure if that is the same as 5-pin active MIDI cable, but would guess so). One cable from the MIDI In on the AF3 to the MIDI Out on the GT22 and vice versa. As of a short while ago, I am now on AF3 FW 17.01 full release.

Since I posted on Monday, I have gone in and tried to find what might be going on. On the "Lee's" button, I was finally able to get it working, and have it stay lit, if I changed the button mode from a "Hold" to "Normal". When I rebooted my AF3, I noticed that button on my GT22 displayed as Tremelo 1 rather than the title I'd provided. This was with the button mode still as "Hold". This made me think it was getting triggered like an IA mode was flipped. I don't believe I have an IA Mode button in this setting file. I have a new settings file I am attaching, that is still building on the last one Ian posted in February 2020 (I believe).

Part of me wonders if downloading and re-using a file from a previous iteration of the MMGT firmware could in any way pass forward any issues? I've started a completely fresh settings file, but have a lot of work to get back to include what Ian included in his setup.

Please let me know if I can do anything that will assist.
Lee

Attachments

• LL2MMGT22-10-27-2021.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Well, that's a weird one. I see that it somehow the button's hold function has some references to the Tremolo 1 block, but I can't see how. I will look into it.

You can possibly get rid of any ill effect from this Tremolo 1 issue by adding any IA action to the hold function. Choose something that has no effect, like System / Macro off:None on:None

Ok. I ended up changing that button to a Normal Mode instead of a Hold Mode. Is there any negative aspect if there isn't a second action needed?

Last edited:
As a similar scenario, minus the Tremolo connection, Button 22 on Page 2 (on the settings file I attached last), I have it set to go to Page 5, but it is for some reason sending it back to the first page (Main). Button 22 on Page 2 is also set up as a Hold Mode, and the secondary Hold Functions are set up as Button Type of IA. Perhaps something about this will also help ferret out an issue.

Setting it to Normal is no problem if you don't need a hold function on the button.

On the page 2 button, you need to set it to button type = IA if you want it to run the IA actions (System / Page 5). As it is, it's a Page Down button, which will just go to page 1 and ignore the System / Page action.

Setting it to Normal is no problem if you don't need a hold function on the button.

On the page 2 button, you need to set it to button type = IA if you want it to run the IA actions (System / Page 5). As it is, it's a Page Down button, which will just go to page 1 and ignore the System / Page action.
Ah, thank you. Little by little I'm adding each of these "How-to" to my memory banks. lol. Not too different from shifting between programing languages, or learning a new one. All in the details.

I have Button 11 Page 1 set for Drive 1. It seems like it is correct when I open some presets, but that may just be luck of the draw, as the display for that button doesn't change when the current scene or preset doesn't have Drive 1 active.

Most of the IA buttons I have setup, like the Drive 1, have the box checked under the Hold Functions, that says "Active in IA Mode Only". This button also has IA Cycle checked. Is there anything about the Cycle feature that prevents a button from recognizing it is no longer active?

EDIT: I was going to say it wasn't going to work with IA Cycle, but I just checked and it can work, but as you say, it's all in the details. What do the actions on your button look like?

EDIT: I was going to say it wasn't going to work with IA Cycle, but I just checked and it can work, but as you say, it's all in the details. What do the actions on your button look like?
Funny enough, your original response popped up on my phone, then I saw the edited version on my computer. lol

I took a couple of screen caps. Thought it might provide clearer info than I could verbalize. This is specific for the Drive 1 button on page 1

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 11.54.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 11.54.51 AM.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 11.55.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 11.55.02 AM.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 6
Back