How to utilize button pages?

Dr.Jackle

I haven't yet bought the PBC but I'm pretty sure I will. However I have been messing around with the editor software to see if the device fits my needs and one thing I haven't yet figured out is the concept of button pages. Using the Loops & Switches button pages is self explanatory since the functions of the buttons are printed on the device itself. I have also tweaked the first page to my liking. The functions of the buttons that are printed on the device (switches, mute etc) of course no longer apply and I would use neon gaffers tape to write down the new primary and hold -functions of the buttons I have assigned on the first page so that's not an issue.

Now, the button pages seem like a powerful concept but the obvious problem is that I would have to either memorize what all the button functions in different pages are or, do what I did with the first page and slap another strip of tape on the device and write down the button functions on a said page. The first option would require so much more work and thinking during a gig, so that it would dwarf any benefits of such page. The problem with the second option is that there is limited amount of space (duh..) on the device for these tape strips. So a general question for all of you PBC users - how do you utilize the button pages?

Both ways, I have a main IA page and I stick labels on the unit for it. I have other pages for specific uses like scrolling presets of Strymons and H9 and I just remember that each set of two buttons in the lower row is down and up a preset for one of those effects units. I also have a page to control the Timeline looper and I just remember what the buttons are for. If you assign the buttons in a logical manner according to your own workflow it's not so hard to remember. If it becomes too hard then maybe having that page is overkill.

But you need to begin using the unit to figure out what actually works, and the easiest way to do it. I played around with the editor a lot but when I began using the unit I found out that some of the hold functions that I had programmed were not that simple to use, and not essential.

Also, there's an option to have button function labels show on the screen for a couple of seconds after you press them, so that helps as well.

Back