Hum - Input & Buffer

Sammy

Hi,

I have a strange issue with hum coming into my signal.

If I run my guitar into the front of my Effect Gizmo and patch out the buffer (patch "From Front" to "Input 1-4") I have hum no matter what.

If I Patch the Buffer in to the same loop as my tuner - with no return (I use this as a tuner mute obviously) I have no noise.

This isn't a problem as such, I'm just confused as to why it happens :?

I am thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong but it happens even when all loops are off and I run straight to the amp...

Cheers

When something like that happens, it's because the enclosure is not getting grounded. In a rack system, grounding is a tricky balancing act. If you have too few paths to ground or too many, you'll get hum.

By connecting the buffer, you're introducing a connection to ground. The loops themselves are not connected to the Effect Gizmo's internal ground, but the buffer is.

You can leave the connection in place and you'll be fine. Or, you can have a look at the ground lift switch on the rear of the Effect Gizmo - if it's pressed in, then press it to disengage it. That may well solve the ground problem, and you'll want to disconnect the buffer (or you'll get hum from a ground loop!)

Thanks! That's good to know, I will just leave it as it is for now but I will keep it in mind in case I add or change things in future which is very likely!
Thanks again for your fast reply, Amazing customer support!!

Back