Humidity

Rick

I noticed in two recent outdoor gigs that a couple of the button screens became slightly hazy. Both times, a next day check and they were clear as could be. No, I was not under the influence. :) This is Texas, and I am right next to the Gulf, so humidity is always high here.

I have not popped the hood open on this, so I wondered if that has happened to anyone else. It didn't affect anything, and never was where it kept me from seeing the wording, but was like a slight haze. Interestingly, it was the same screens both times: second row from the top, first two (or possibly three) screens. No other ones affected.

I don't see it as a cause for concern, just curious.

It's not at all common, but I think I've heard of it happening once while a band's gear was in transit. I wonder if it would help to get a big silica gel pack and tape it on the inside of the case. Having condensation in there wouldn't be good in the long term, things would start to corrode.

Ok. Ron is there anything I need to be careful of opening the case? I’m fairly handy around electronics but don’t want to do anything warranty voiding! It might just need a thorough drying out, although it’s never been exposed to water or rain.

If I have it happen again, I’ll snap a picture.

Last edited:
I noticed in two recent outdoor gigs that a couple of the button screens became slightly hazy. Both times, a next day check and they were clear as could be. No, I was not under the influence. :) This is Texas, and I am right next to the Gulf, so humidity is always high here.

I have not popped the hood open on this, so I wondered if that has happened to anyone else. It didn't affect anything, and never was where it kept me from seeing the wording, but was like a slight haze. Interestingly, it was the same screens both times: second row from the top, first two (or possibly three) screens. No other ones affected.

I don't see it as a cause for concern, just curious.
Mine has done it before, but was nothing compared to the drum rack that was sweating buckets in the same conditions. It went away after the screens were on for a while. Mine was more of rapid temp changes. If you open it up, you'll see how serviceable it was made. I would suggest to let things acclimate to storage temps, before closing anything up air tight. Mines been left out in a 70%RH basement for years now, havent seen any adverse effects. The mmgt wasnt made air tight by any means.

I think it was a little bit of a haze, possibly due to temp changes as you suggest, and a little of that dark purple background making things less than clear to my late 50 something year old eyes, or a combination of the two. I'm going to keep a watch on it to see if it crops up again, and take a look inside the box just because I'm curious! :)

Back