HX Stomp Pre/Post Loop Routing

Is it possible to route an HX Stomp to run "pre" mono effects (filter, pitch, dynamic) in Loop 1 of PCB 10 and then have stereo wet effects in the last loop of the switcher? Pre/Post style routing basically... Wonder if 4 cable method type setup with the HX Stomp send and returns would work for this?

Here is the routing I'm thinking:
Loop 1 (mono stomp effects) Switcher send to return of HX Stomp and send of Stomp to return of switcher
Loop 2345 (analog drives)
Loop 6 (stereo post stomp fx)
Send of switcher to input of stomp and left and right out of stomp to return 1 and 2 of switcher?
And I’ll need to be sure to add a Send/Return L block in the stomp to separate those paths?

Last edited:
I responded to your helpdesk post, but I'll post it here as well (with one correction)

--

Yes, you can do that. You need to include the "FX Loop" block in all of your HX Stomp presets for this to work.

Loop 1 send would connect to the HX Stomp input, loop 1 return to HX Stomp send.
Loop 10 send would connect to HX Stomp return and loop 6 return to HX Stomp out.

Thanks so much!

And the post effects will be run in stereo because of using TRS jacks?
Yes, if you set the last loop to stereo and wire it with insert cables, and also set the output to stereo, it will allow you to get a stereo signal at the end.

My mistake, I didn't notice that you weren't using an effect loop. Forget what I said about the PBC's insert loop, and just connect the PBC's outputs to your amp inputs.

I have a PBC10 and I’m looking to pick up an HX stomp to use as an amp sim/random effects. I’m planning to do the 4 cable method - is it possible to have the stomp in loop 7 for specific effects but also have the amp sims at the end of my chain after the PBC? It would be always on for the amps but then I’d bring in effects as needed into loop 7. I’ve got the strymon trifecta (loops 8-10) and I could run the stomp in loop 7 with Strymons after the amps but I’m afraid of having my wet effect mixes thrown off on all my presets otherwise I wouldn’t be opposed to this. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I have a PBC10 and I’m looking to pick up an HX stomp to use as an amp sim/random effects. I’m planning to do the 4 cable method - is it possible to have the stomp in loop 7 for specific effects but also have the amp sims at the end of my chain after the PBC? It would be always on for the amps but then I’d bring in effects as needed into loop 7. I’ve got the strymon trifecta (loops 8-10) and I could run the stomp in loop 7 with Strymons after the amps but I’m afraid of having my wet effect mixes thrown off on all my presets otherwise I wouldn’t be opposed to this. Any thoughts?
I haven’t tried exactly this but close. To put it in loop 7, I think you would go:

- PBC In 7-10 set to mono with the gray push button
- PBC Loop 7 Send -> HX Stomp Input (TS cable for mono input to HX Stomp)
- HX Stomp Send -> PBC Loop 7 Return (TRS cable for stereo out to PBC)

Then for amp sim, you would go:

- PBC Out L -> HX Stomp Return L
- PBC Out R -> HX Stomp Return R
- HX Stomp Outputs L & R to FOH/Audio Interface/whatever

Some things to be aware of:

- You lose the capability of ground lift on your second output since the HX stomp doesn’t have that. So if you ever bypass the HX Stomp to go to real amps and you have a ground loop, you’ll need another device to lift the ground on one of the outputs.
- On the HX Stomp you will have your Loop 7 effects between the input and a Send block, and the amps between a return block (or two if running two parallel paths in the Stomp) and the output
- Programming the HX Stomp for this might get a bit complex, especially when running both pre and post. I’m not looking at my config at the moment, but I think you will want to kill the dry through on the send block to avoid getting two dry signals in your signal path. This may change depending on whether you run loop 7 in series or parallel.

Disclaimer: since I’m going mostly by memory here, you might need to experiment with each of these connection points and the preset programming. I’m sure what you’re after is possible (and this should get you well on your way) but the finer details are not always straightforward.

Back