IA Store not saving bypass info for midi device

Josh Fry

I created a page to bank up and down on my Strymons (TL/BS/MO) with buttons for each device to toggle the bypass and an IA Store button. When I click IA Store, it saves the correct presets on each Strymon device to the correct preset on the PBC, but it does not store the bypass information. Any thoughts?

I don't think you can save the on/off state of the Strymons by doing it that way, although of course I could be wrong. I believe that what the PBC does is internally count how many presets you scroll up and down on the Strymons relative to an initial reference point and that way is able to save the presets correctly, i.e. adds or subtracts a certain number of steps to whatever program change you last sent before you started scrolling and saves the result as the new PC on the PBC preset.

To test the above, try scrolling on the PBC, then scroll a few times on the Strymon itself, save the preset on the PBC, and see if it still saves it correctly. It's been a while since I've tried it myself.

But it's different for on/off toggle. Remember that the PBC is communicating with the devices through its MIDI out, so it isn't really receiving any MIDI feedback from the Strymons. It can't tell whether the device is on or off or whether you previously sent an on/off toggle MIDI message ... once the message is sent via an IA, it does its job and it's gone, it's not a continuous thing that the PBC can monitor when you save your preset. It would need to be something that it can count internally like for the preset scrolling.

@lureb thanks for your reply. That makes sense.

Here's something crazy/cool. The Mobius actually works the way I was trying to do it. The Timeline and BigSky do not. The awesome thing is that the Timeline and BigSky are in loops, so I can just leave them on all the time and use the audio loop as a bypass. I'm running the Mobius pre/post at the beginning and end of my chain, outside the PBC. Since it obeys my on/off commands and will save on IA Store, it works out perfectly!

Cool that it worked out for you. I keep my Strymons in loops partially for that same reason, that I don't have to worry about on/off toggle. And strangely it was my Mobius that at first didn't respond well to the preset scrolling until one day it did, perhaps after a software update, I don't remember.

Back