IA Store Not Saving Kemper FX Block States

stringtheorist

So I got my PBC today and I've been working to try and get my pages and buttons working as I want them to with my Kemper. I am using only one-way MIDI (one cable from PBC Out to Kemper In).

Currently, I am having difficulty with the IA Store feature. My understanding is that this button saves the state of the current IA configuration. I am using this to try and save the state of the Kemper's FX blocks. I have a Kemper FX button page set up to turn the blocks on and off and an IA store button on the Preset page. I expected IA Store to save the state of the blocks. Instead, after I navigate back to my preset page, the configuration lasts only until I change to another preset, but upon returning to the original preset it returns to it's default state. At the same time, the preset button state displays the Kemper FX page instead of the Preset page. So the IA state is saving the Page view to the Preset button instead of the IA state (I think).

Hope someone can untangle this for me.

Last edited:
You can work with the Kemper in two ways - normal mode and slave mode. In normal mode (which you're using), effect block states have to be programmed on the Kemper, you can't store them on the PBC. The Kemper is in charge of effect block state, and when you select a preset on the Kemper, the Kemper communicates back to the PBC, telling it which effects are on and which are off. This basically mimics how Kemper's own controller works.

In slave mode, the PBC ignores the effect state coming from the Kemper and forces the effect blocks on or off based on how you have the IA buttons stored in the PBC. To switch to this mode of operation, go to the Devices tab and change the device model from KPA to KPA (slave). You'll also need to edit your buttons that you're using to control the effect blocks. Make sure that Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset change are turned on for each of those buttons.

You can work with the Kemper in two ways - normal mode and slave mode. In normal mode (which you're using), effect block states have to be programmed on the Kemper, you can't store them on the PBC. The Kemper is in charge of effect block state, and when you select a preset on the Kemper, the Kemper communicates back to the PBC, telling it which effects are on and which are off. This basically mimics how Kemper's own controller works.

In slave mode, the PBC ignores the effect state coming from the Kemper and forces the effect blocks on or off based on how you have the IA buttons stored in the PBC. To switch to this mode of operation, go to the Devices tab and change the device model from KPA to KPA (slave). You'll also need to edit your buttons that you're using to control the effect blocks. Make sure that Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset change are turned on for each of those buttons.
Thanks... This is how I now have it configured (slave) with only a single MIDI cable and bidirectional MIDI un-checked.

IA Store now saves the FX state but when I return to the Presets page after pressing IA Store the Preset button that I was editing now navigates to the Kemper FX page when I press it instead of staying on the Presets page and showing the preset name.

BTW, Is it possible to have each Preset button link to the Kemper FX button page on button hold without affecting its second-press behaviour?

Last edited:
Turn off the Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change checkboxes for any button that you use to change button pages. Also turn on Momentary for those buttons. Unlike the effect block buttons, you don't want page select buttons automatically triggering when you change presets. You also don't want them to stay on once they've been pressed.

You can add a hold function to the preset buttons that switches to the Kemper page, no problem. And, it won't affect 2nd press handling.

Turn off the Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change checkboxes for any button that you use to change button pages. Also turn on Momentary for those buttons. Unlike the effect block buttons, you don't want page select buttons automatically triggering when you change presets. You also don't want them to stay on once they've been pressed.

You can add a hold function to the preset buttons that switches to the Kemper page, no problem. And, it won't affect 2nd press handling.
Thanks Ron. All working now except for the following: On the Kemper, whenever I select a preset I get an error alert saying "Module is empty! Please select a type or preset." Is there some conflict happening between the FX block state and the PBC?

Also, after editing the Preset button to deliver a Hold function, the Preset button LED colour no longer changes on second button press (IA) (although Morphing command works). Anything I can do about this?

Last edited:
I don't know about the error message, I'll have to look into it.

If you have a hold function on a preset button, it has precedence over the preset 2nd press IA option. Currently no way to change that.

Back