In/Out Jack Connections

Piplodocus

Hello!

Just pondering some rig experiments and gave me a question about PBC/10 I/O (which I was pondering anyway from a returns/trails point of view)...

I think I read (or watched on an RJM podcast) that if you have a loop switched on with nothing plugged in the return jack it acts like a switchable send. i.e. the send switches on, but it still passes the internal audio signal on to the next loop as long as nothing is plugged in the return. Correct?

So I then figure if you want the PBC to send to something, but "break the path" on through the PBC when on, you just stick some kinda empty jack in the return socket. So it then does the above, but that breaks the signal continuing on through the PBC because the blank jack breaks the chain. Makes sense.

Is that for all sends/returns? Or just the stereo ones?

Then next related question: if I want to run a little synth into the rig, can I just stick it's output into a loop return? Will switching that loop on then switch from guitar to that synth? Or will the synth always be heard the whole time because the returns are actually always active (so delay spillover would work when turning off a loop send to a delay pedal)? And if the first, and the synth does get switched in, will it be mixed with guitar signal from earlier loops? Or would it need a blank jack stuffed in the send so the guitar gets routed to nothing when the loop is on?

You're 100% correct. (FYI the send & return behavior is the same for mono and stereo jacks)

Some notes on the synth question: If you plug a sound source into a return, activating the loop will insert that sound source into the signal path, and will cut off all signal from prior loops. You won't get spillover or any of the signal from the prior loops unless you use one of the stereo loops and turn on parallel and trails settings.

Back