Insert Y cable for PBC 6x

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the RJM world and very excited, having just gotten a PBC 6x! So the exploring will begin shortly, but I do need to get some cables for the loops, including Y-Cable inserts for Loops 4-6...I actually need the extra mono loops. My research indicates that Square Plugs will likely be my purchase, but I just wanted to see input from others, Has anyone used other types besides Square, or do those seem to be the go-to for the PBCs? Also, for the TRS end, have you found any preference between the SP550-S and the SPS7-S? I've seen some photos of both in use, and while the SP550-S definitely appeals to me, I'm curious if it is difficult to make them all fit in tight space? It may not be at all, but just looks that way to me in the photos.

Anyway, thank you in advance, and I look forward to reading your thoughts!

I use square plugs on my PBC 10 and love them, but there are some things you should know:

1. I’ve heard the bottom row of jacks on the PBC 6x sit a little lower to the bottom of the unit, so people say they need a riser to make square plugs work since the cable runs downward from the plug.
2. On the top row, you have to kind of curl the cable down and behind the edge of the square plug to get a clean look. Otherwise you’ll just have cables sticking straight up and it would get out of hand. Even with tucking the cables between the square plug plates and the PBC, there’s still a tiny loop where the cable points up before going back down. It doesn’t bother me, but you might not care for that look.
3. If you do use square plugs and tuck the cables in, it will be (even more of) a pain when you decide to change anything on your board.

When I built my board, the SPS7 wasn’t a thing yet. I don’t know if I would switch if starting over from scratch, but if you have room on your board there is something to be said for having breathing room for your cabling and enough space behind your PBC to easily access your plugs.

As for the TRS jacks, the SP550s work great and look identical to the mono jacks other than the slightly thicker cable.

I use square plugs on my PBC 10 and love them, but there are some things you should know:

1. I’ve heard the bottom row of jacks on the PBC 6x sit a little lower to the bottom of the unit, so people say they need a riser to make square plugs work since the cable runs downward from the plug.
2. On the top row, you have to kind of curl the cable down and behind the edge of the square plug to get a clean look. Otherwise you’ll just have cables sticking straight up and it would get out of hand. Even with tucking the cables between the square plug plates and the PBC, there’s still a tiny loop where the cable points up before going back down. It doesn’t bother me, but you might not care for that look.
3. If you do use square plugs and tuck the cables in, it will be (even more of) a pain when you decide to change anything on your board.

When I built my board, the SPS7 wasn’t a thing yet. I don’t know if I would switch if starting over from scratch, but if you have room on your board there is something to be said for having breathing room for your cabling and enough space behind your PBC to easily access your plugs.

As for the TRS jacks, the SP550s work great and look identical to the mono jacks other than the slightly thicker cable.
Thanks so much, Josh! Looks like you were dead-on about the riser...I found PBC/6X-specific risers by Goodwind Audio and Pedalnetics. So if I do go with the flat TRS plugs, it appears a riser is needed for sure.

I could go with the other option, the SPS7, as my board has plenty of room. It's a Pedaltrain Pro, which is actually bigger than I need, but putting the RJM on it, along with my Friedman IR-X and various pedals will not be an issue at all.

So barring any other info, I'll just pay everything out and see what makes sense.

Thanks again!

Adam

Hey! I do custom wiring for pedalboards as a side-gig and have used all the common TRS plugs extensively over the years. Here's a couple general thoughts to keep in mind.

- Squareplugs are generally great, and very well designed from a user's POV. That said, they've had some pretty bad luck with faulty plugs the last few years. They'll take care of you if you contact them, but it can be pretty annoying. I recently did a board where I had 6-7 Squareplugs of various types come faulty out of the bag - VERY frustrating. I test them before using them now, just to avoid the hassle of chasing down issues caused by bad manufacturing. I know several other builders who now avoid them all together for this reason.
- I don't recommend the SPS7. Despite what they say, it doesn't really offer any strain relief for the cables unless the cable is of a specific diameter, and even then it's just a friction fit. Definitely not something I'd trust long term. I got a bunch and will probably never use them for this reason alone.
- Issues aside, the SP550 is my personal favorite right angle TRS plug available. All of them are a pain to deal with, but the SP550 is the least annoying.

Given all that, my recommendation these days is Creation Music Company connectors. Roughly the same price point as the Squareplugs. Their right angle "Mini Cakes" are super solid, and pretty similar to Squareplugs in design. I don't love the design of their TRS with the extra long tab for the ring connection, but it's workable. (Note: they don't advertise it anymore, but you're supposed to put some heat shrink on that long tab, solder the connection, then pull the heat shrink over the connection to prevent any unintentional shorts.)

For straight connectors, Creation has their Shorty plugs. They aren't as small as Squareplugs, but they're still shorter than most anything else on the market, and they have a classic Switchcraft style design for tabs and cable support. Can't go wrong with them. They're what I've used with my PBC for years, and I've never had an issue.

Hope that all helps!

Hey! I do custom wiring for pedalboards as a side-gig and have used all the common TRS plugs extensively over the years. Here's a couple general thoughts to keep in mind.

- Squareplugs are generally great, and very well designed from a user's POV. That said, they've had some pretty bad luck with faulty plugs the last few years. They'll take care of you if you contact them, but it can be pretty annoying. I recently did a board where I had 6-7 Squareplugs of various types come faulty out of the bag - VERY frustrating. I test them before using them now, just to avoid the hassle of chasing down issues caused by bad manufacturing. I know several other builders who now avoid them all together for this reason.
- I don't recommend the SPS7. Despite what they say, it doesn't really offer any strain relief for the cables unless the cable is of a specific diameter, and even then it's just a friction fit. Definitely not something I'd trust long term. I got a bunch and will probably never use them for this reason alone.
- Issues aside, the SP550 is my personal favorite right angle TRS plug available. All of them are a pain to deal with, but the SP550 is the least annoying.

Given all that, my recommendation these days is Creation Music Company connectors. Roughly the same price point as the Squareplugs. Their right angle "Mini Cakes" are super solid, and pretty similar to Squareplugs in design. I don't love the design of their TRS with the extra long tab for the ring connection, but it's workable. (Note: they don't advertise it anymore, but you're supposed to put some heat shrink on that long tab, solder the connection, then pull the heat shrink over the connection to prevent any unintentional shorts.)

For straight connectors, Creation has their Shorty plugs. They aren't as small as Squareplugs, but they're still shorter than most anything else on the market, and they have a classic Switchcraft style design for tabs and cable support. Can't go wrong with them. They're what I've used with my PBC for years, and I've never had an issue.

Hope that all helps!
Thanks so much for your very informative post! That's a big help, and I'd definitely like to avoid unpleasant surprises! I just contacted Creation with a couple of questions, really about the fitment of the Mini Cakes, but I'm starting to think the Shorty might be better for me on the TRS end. Seems like it might be easier to deal with, and I am not hurting for space on the board.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Adam

I use Creation Shorty to Minicake cables on my 6x and they are awesome! That includes dual mono cables for loops 4-6 and the insert. Super easy to work with and work really well. Never had a problem and the guys at Creation are great to deal with.

I use Creation Shorty to Minicake cables on my 6x and they are awesome! That includes dual mono cables for loops 4-6 and the insert. Super easy to work with and work really well. Never had a problem and the guys at Creation are great to deal with.
Thank you! I emailed Creation with a couple of questions, so I'm just waiting to hear back. They seem to be a really good option. Have you used other cables as well, or did you just start with Creation right away?

Thank you! I emailed Creation with a couple of questions, so I'm just waiting to hear back. They seem to be a really good option. Have you used other cables as well, or did you just start with Creation right away?
You're welcome! I've used some other options definitely. Would also recommend checking out Doc's Basement for high quality custom-made stuff at fair prices. Lots of good options out there!

Back