Interface with AXE III / Kemper

gitapik

Hi. This is my first post here. I'm fairly new to my 6x, but very into it.

I'm thinking of a move to a more serious home studio. Big deal, as I've got a very nice board. Thinking of getting a multi-effects/modeler/profiler to replace it. I have some nice pedals I can swap out on my little board for jams or occasional club gigs (when that happens again). Simpler and still great sounds.

I'd been hedging on the AXE for the extra cost and then adding in a controller, but now see that my 6x can handle that function very effectively. I've seen a good video on connecting to an AXE II. Hoping for an answer to two questions:

1) Pretty sure the video said I can still create songs on the 6x, utilizing the scenes/presets on the AXE III?

2) Is there any appreciable difference in the compatibility of the Kemper vs AXE III with the 6x? Or are they pretty much on an equal footing in that respect?

Thanks for your time and the very cool controller.

Last edited:
Yes, you can set up scenes and presets. It's more automatic with the Axe-Fx III than it was with the previous models - the Get Preset Names function can set up more of it for you. I have Youtube videos out there showing setup for the GT and Axe-Fx III. The PBC/6X works basically the same.

There's a difference between Axe-Fx III and Kemper support because their MIDI implementations are so different. They have different features and a different philosophy on pretty much every aspect of their design. We try to support both devices as much as they allow us to, and try to make it appear to the user as similar as possible.

Thanks. I haven't made a final decision on this yet. My board sounds great and the Mastermind works beautifully with it. Just thinking that a multi-effects unit will better serve my needs, now that I won't be performing as much.

I'm on the wait list for the FM3 and checking out the AXE III, Kemper, and (to a lesser degree) Helix. My main concern with a switch is in the area of clean tones, though I saw a video of some beautiful ones on the AXE III.

BTW: you made the point on a webinar about how switching between Scenes is more seamless than Presets on the AXE III. I saw a video recently where this was very apparent. Back in the '90s I had a rig with a Marshall JMP-1 and a Roland RSP-550 signal processor. Great overdrive sounds but the latency was a problem. Seems that the switching between presets on the AXE III is similar to that (?).

Yes, as I understand it, that was the reason they created scenes - to allow faster switching. Preset switching is definitely slower.

Back