Introducing the MultiBox

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
We've just released the MultiBox, which is a small box that combines the features of a MIDI Thru box, a TRS MIDI converter, a phantom power box and a bidirectional MIDI combiner/splitter.

It features:

1 - 7-pin MIDI input with phantom power capability
3 - 5 - pin MIDI thrus (one with bidirectional capability, one that can be converted to an input for combining into a bidirectional connection)
4 - TRS MIDI outputs, compatible with tip active, ring active and standard MIDI pedals

It takes 9-12 volts, AC or DC at 50mA. Current draw will be higher if you're using it as a phantom power box.

More information can be found on our website: https://www.rjmmusic.com/multibox-midi-thru-box-and-trs-midi-adapter/

I was looking at this in the store yesterday while ordering new switches thinking it was pretty cool and wondering why there was no mention of it on the site! Really handy for pulling together DIN-based stuff and TRS-based stuff in a small footprint!

We've just released the MultiBox, which is a small box that combines the features of a MIDI Thru box, a TRS MIDI converter, a phantom power box and a bidirectional MIDI combiner/splitter.
For context—I’m running an analog pedalboard with a PBC6X and several midi devices including the Stryfecta. I’ve been trying to find a solution where I can view Nixie and the PBC Editor simultaneously. Can this box help accomplish that?

If not through a single USB then I’d be fine putting MIDI in and out jacks on the side of my Temple Audio board (I already have them actually) and run the MIDI to USB cable to my computer. I just don’t want to have to unplug the MIDI from my Strymons and connect that separate cable if at all possible.

For context—I’m running an analog pedalboard with a PBC6X and several midi devices including the Stryfecta. I’ve been trying to find a solution where I can view Nixie and the PBC Editor simultaneously. Can this box help accomplish that?

If not through a single USB then I’d be fine putting MIDI in and out jacks on the side of my Temple Audio board (I already have them actually) and run the MIDI to USB cable to my computer. I just don’t want to have to unplug the MIDI from my Strymons and connect that separate cable if at all possible.
Yes, you would use the Multibox to split the PBC's MIDI port into an input and an output, then connect the output to your first pedal. Chain the pedals from input to output, and the important thing for Nixie is that the MIDI output of the last pedal has to come back to the MIDI input on the Multibox. On the PBC, MIDI Forward has to be turned on, and on the Strymon pedals, MIDITH (MIDI thru) needs to be set to Merge).

I haven't tried this in quite a while, and I know that some people were having trouble getting it set up, but I believe it should work if you set it up as above. If you try it and run into any problems, let me know and I'll do what I can.

Yes, you would use the Multibox to split the PBC's MIDI port into an input and an output, then connect the output to your first pedal. Chain the pedals from input to output, and the important thing for Nixie is that the MIDI output of the last pedal has to come back to the MIDI input on the Multibox. On the PBC, MIDI Forward has to be turned on, and on the Strymon pedals, MIDITH (MIDI thru) needs to be set to Merge).

I haven't tried this in quite a while, and I know that some people were having trouble getting it set up, but I believe it should work if you set it up as above. If you try it and run into any problems, let me know and I'll do what I can.
Thanks so much! And actually, I just remembered I missed one feature I was also hoping for. In addition to controlling both editors, I would ideally also like to be able to have the PBC6X receive an incoming MIDI signal from an external source to change presets. Would ALL of this still be possible? Again, I already have MIDI jacks mounted on the side of my board if this indeed can be accomplished. :cool:

Thanks so much! And actually, I just remembered I missed one feature I was also hoping for. In addition to controlling both editors, I would ideally also like to be able to have the PBC6X receive an incoming MIDI signal from an external source to change presets. Would ALL of this still be possible? Again, I already have MIDI jacks mounted on the side of my board if this indeed can be accomplished. :cool:
You would need a MIDI merge box to do that, since the PBC's MIDI input is already occupied. Unfortunately, that's the one thing the Multibox doesn't do. MIDI Solutions makes one, but I can't recommend it because it alters the MIDI data stream and causes compatibility issues. Kenton in the UK makes a MIDI merger that will work properly, but I think the smallest one they make has 4 inputs.

Hi,

I have a question regarding the multibox. I’m looking to simplify my midi chain. Sorry if this is too complex a question for a forum post. I tried to explain as clear as possible.

Mastermind GT is on a pedal board with two HX Stomps which I use for two synths (also midi controlled) and it also controls a rack with an axe fx III and some other stuff.

I Have to run three midi lines currently:
- One from a remote located at the rack to the midi in of the GT.
- One bidirectional line from the GT to the axe fx.
- One from the axe fx’s through back to the board to control synths and hx stomps.

It all works as intended but I’d like to simplify, and get to two or maybe even one midi cable.

Could I use the multibox to do the following:

Split the signal on the midi INPUT of the GT, into:
Midi in (from remote)
Midi out (to synths)
Midi out (to hx stomps)

Also, could the midi out of the axe fx be merged at the rack end with the remote control midi stream, of does the advanced integration of the axe fx and GT not allow for any merging in it’s path?

————————————————
Perhaps too much information, but my current midi chain is as follows (green = rack, red = pedal board)

GT
midi out. GT midi in
⬇️ ⬆️
Axe FX in & out Remote controller

Axe FX through

⬇️
Midi splitter ➡️ Rest of the rack
⬇️
Midi splitter ➡️ Synths
⬇️
HX stomps

You could do this:

Split the signal on the midi INPUT of the GT, into:
Midi in (from remote)
Midi out (to synths)
Midi out (to hx stomps)

If you used a special MIDI cable to connect from the GT's MIDI input to the MultiBox. This cable would need to be connected like this:

pin 1 - pin 4
pin 2 - pin 2
pin 3 - pin 5
pin 4 - pin 1
pin 5 - pin 3

The Multibox's main input is expecting to be plugged into a MIDI output, not an input, so this cable swaps the wires so that it acts like an output.

You can then use the MIDI input port on the Multibox and the multiple MIDI outs to conenct to your other devices.

If you had the right kind of MIDI merge box, it could do the job you describe. However, I don't know of one on the market that is compatible with bidirectional MIDI signals. The Multibox doesn't merge, it's strictly a thru box and bidirectional splitter/combiner.

Reactions: Jop
Yes, you would use the Multibox to split the PBC's MIDI port into an input and an output, then connect the output to your first pedal. Chain the pedals from input to output, and the important thing for Nixie is that the MIDI output of the last pedal has to come back to the MIDI input on the Multibox.
Before I start wiring everything up, let me see if this is correct. I have 7 midi devices on my pedalboard: Stryfecta, (2) ToneX Pedals, Poly Beebo, POG2 (with midi mod)

If I want to keep the Stryfecta in its own loop to make sure it comes back into the Multibox, could the rest of my devices just utilize the other output?

73CDF3F6-62DF-4AFF-822A-825EA2603AB2.jpeg

PBC6X > Multibox #1

Multibox #2 > Stryfecta > Multibox #4

Multibox #3
> Poly Beebo > ToneX 1 > ToneX 2 > POG2

If this would work, what dip switches would I need to change, if any?

Last edited:
You would need a MIDI merge box to do that, since the PBC's MIDI input is already occupied. Unfortunately, that's the one thing the Multibox doesn't do. MIDI Solutions makes one, but I can't recommend it because it alters the MIDI data stream and causes compatibility issues. Kenton in the UK makes a MIDI merger that will work properly, but I think the smallest one they make has 4 inputs.
Hi Ron,

Multibox looks like a very handy tool!

Would a MIDI merger be a product you would consider coming up with that didn't implement running status?

Guessing that is what you mean when talking about "altering the data stream".

We need a guitarist-friendly merger!

Chris.

Hi Ron,

Multibox looks like a very handy tool!

Would a MIDI merger be a product you would consider coming up with that didn't implement running status?

Guessing that is what you mean when talking about "altering the data stream".

We need a guitarist-friendly merger!

Chris.
Exactly right. Running status is tied with omni mode as the worst idea in the MIDI specification, in my opinion.

Yes, I probably will need to do a merger at some point. It's not on the list right now, but it wouldn't be terribly hard to do.

Yes, I probably will need to do a merger at some point. It's not on the list right now, but it wouldn't be terribly hard to do.
If you’re taking suggestions, one thing I would find useful would be a way to filter midi messages by output. Specifically, a way to not send midi clock to a particular output.

I’ve got a Jackson Audio Golden Boy that produces pretty awful noise if midi clock is on. I know some others here have run into similar problems. I know you’ve pointed out that midi clock is electronically noisy, so pedals that aren’t designed to deal with that can have problems.

For the moment, I’m looking at this (https://www.midisolutions.com/prodrte.htm), but a box that would combine midi thru with both 5 pin and trs midi and filter midi data would be very useful indeed. A niche desire, perhaps, but I figured it can’t hurt to ask

Just wanted to stop back in and say, IT WORKED! I am now simultaneously controlling Strymon Nixie, the Mastermind Editor, HX Edit, and ToneX software all from a single USB port on the side of my board (with a simple unpowered USB hub underneath). Super grateful for the Multibox!

Just wanted to stop back in and say, IT WORKED! I am now simultaneously controlling Strymon Nixie, the Mastermind Editor, HX Edit, and ToneX software all from a single USB port on the side of my board (with a simple unpowered USB hub underneath). Super grateful for the Multibox!
Great! I'm happy to hear it's working out for you!

Great! I'm happy to hear it's working out for you!
Hi, I recently purchased a multi box in order to connect my Stryfecta Nixie editor via my mastermind PBC 10 - so that I don't have to use the Roland UM-ONE cable! :) - I've done everything according to what Strymon recommends (midi settings, etc...) + everything recommended on this thread from RJM's perspective and Nixie still doesn't find any devices - all of my cables are working and passing midi messages - any thoughts on how I can get it to work?

Thanks

Hi, I recently purchased a multi box in order to connect my Stryfecta Nixie editor via my mastermind PBC 10 - so that I don't have to use the Roland UM-ONE cable! :) - I've done everything according to what Strymon recommends (midi settings, etc...) + everything recommended on this thread from RJM's perspective and Nixie still doesn't find any devices - all of my cables are working and passing midi messages - any thoughts on how I can get it to work?

Thanks
How do you have it connected, exactly?

Back