Is there a limit for the amount of CC#s that can be sent from the PBC?

Jeremy Reed

Hi, i'm wondering if there is an actual limit for the number of CC#s that can be sent from the PBC. I'm wanting to assign well over 100 CC#s, but before I start the process, I want to be sure that I won't run out.

Each button can have 20 actions, but you can use macros to greatly extend that. You can call one or more macros from a button, and each macro can have 32 actions. This makes 32*20 = 640 CCs the upper limit. You could go crazy and use the Sysex function to pack multiple CCs together, that would let you send thousands per button (probably not recommended, though!)

I think I may have misunderstood. If you're talking about how many unique CC numbers are available, the answer is 128 (0 through 127). That limit is set by the MIDI standard. If the device you're sending to can receive on more than one MIDI channel, then you can use 128 CC numbers per channel, 128*16 channels = 2048. There are also NRPNs, but we won't go there unless needed. if you only need 100 CCs, the existing limit is fine.

Ok I understand. What I’m doing is assigning 2 unique CC# to every song within the PBC that I send to ableton live. The reason for this is I need a unique CC# so I can fire tracks for each song, and so I can fire click only in case there is a hiccup with the tracks. I can re-assign the CC# for each set that I do, but if I just give every song a unique CC#, I won’t have to re-assign them every week. I do this because I have to utilize the local button page for each preset within the PBC so I can fire the unique CC# for that song. Not sure if that makes sense.

Back