Issue trying to incorporate midi via remote jack

greiswig

Hi, all,

I'm trying to use Bandhelper to try to Program and Scene changes to my AxeFX by getting it to feed MIDI changes to a PUC+ Bluetooth MIDI device, plugged into the Remote jack on the MMGT. The GT, in turn, is plugged into the AxeFX via a 7-pin DIN cable to provide power and midi.

This works great. Unless all I do is use the pedalboard.

In other words, I can get it to do the requisite preset change once, e.g. to "Preset A." Then if I change to Preset B using the AxeFX UI, trying to go back to Preset A using Bandhelper will only make the MMGT briefly flash Preset A, but it reverts back to Preset B.

Honestly, I can live with this if I need to, but this past weekend I had a gig where there were some strange things going on with my ability to control patches via the MMGT, and it took a reboot of the whole system between sets to get things back on track. So on the fly, I'd like to also be able to select items via the AxeFX hardware UI without making the MMGT no longer able to make any Program changes at all by itself or using the PUC+.

The other thing is that although I can successfully send a Program change, I cannot trigger a certain Scene. On the MIDI preset in Bandhelper, I'm using CC #34, which is allotted for scene values, and then give it a value of 3, but it always lands on scene 1 no matter what. (EDIT: I think part of the problem is that I'm able to control the MMGT for the Program, but I'm trying to control the AxeFX for the Scene...and I know that won't work. But how do I feed the MMGT information that it will pass along as a scene change?)

Any suggestions for how to deal with these?

Last edited:
The more ways you try to control your sytem, the more complicated it gets. You're trying to control everything using the Axe-Fx UI, the GT and Bandhelper all at the same time. And Bandhelper is controlling the GT sometimes and sometimes bypassing the GT and controlling the Axe-Fx directly. I'm sure you're running into issues with Poll State, and possibly redundant PC detection. I'm not sure that I can make it work reliably with all of those things going on at the same time... You might be able to get there, but its going to take a lot of trial and error.

Copy that. Is there a way to control only the MMGT, then have it relay Program, Scene and tempo to the AxeFX? I'll deal with the conflicts with the AxeFX UI by just avoiding using it.

I thought I was on to something on p. 44 in the manual: CC Link. But am I right that it will only toggle on/off states, not something targeted like a Scene #? I did try to make it work, using either a value of 3 or a 66 on CC#34 to turn on Scene 3. Doesn't seem to work, but it wouldn't be the first time I've not done something right.

I guess my question is, SHOULD that work?

Last edited:
A properly set up CC Link button should be able to do it, I think. The first CC on the button needs to be "sent" to the computer device, that's what's used to link it to the incoming CC. The second CC would be the one that goes to the Axe-Fx. When a CC comes in that matches the first action on the button, the button will turn on (or off) and run the remaining actions on the button. This would have the side effect of the button no longer linking to scene changes coming from the Axe-Fx though. (Again, multiple things trying to have control of one button)

I'll try to look at this for 4.6.1. This stuff is pretty tricky and it's easy to break one thing when fixing another, but I'll see if I can at least chip away at it, maybe focusing on the scene selection part first, which should work better than it is currently.

Can you send me your current settings so I have something to work with?

Hmmm...that may be the issue. MIDI, wise, I'm not using the iPad and Bandhelper to do anything except sending MIDI. MIDI flow I'm trying to get will be iPad -> MMGT <-> AxeFX

Last edited:
I was able to track down the issue here: Bandhelper has settings to control the order in which the MIDI is sent under "MIDI Preset Order" in the settings. For some reason, the default on mine was Program Changes, then Raw MIDI, then Control Changes and everything else. Putting Control Changes second in the list fixed this issue.

Back