Jackson Bloom Setup

jkarbel

Good evening all. I've just recently acquired a Jackson Audio Bloom V2 with Midi. I'm running a 5 pin midi to TRS ring active cable from Step Audio. I'm using midi channel 5 confirmed on the device with flashes and set on the PBC. When I set a preset to send a PC and or CC message to the Bloom I get zero response. I've no idea where to begin troubleshooting this. I can't check the cable as I've no other devices taking this type. All my other devices are working as intended. Who has an idea on this. I'm looking forward to hearing back.

It's pretty hard to debug something like this if you don't have other devices you can swap in to test. The problem could be the PBC hardware, the PBC configuration, the cable, the pedal hardware or the pedal configuration. Figuring out which one is the problem is the tricky part. Some trial and error will be necessary.

The PBC hardware is probably ok if you have other devices working.

If you have multiple devices, then the Bloom and its cable are probably the last device in your MIDI chain. Try plugging its cable directly into the PBC's MIDI output and see if that changes anything.

If that doesn't help, I recommend trying a temporary PBC configuration file that has only the Bloom in it. If that doesn't work, try switching the Bloom's channel in the PBC's Devices tab to see if it responds to any other channel. I find that many pedals that don't have a display can be tricky to get their MIDI channel set correctly.

I have 4 other devices working. My PBC is going into a Midi Solutions quadra thru then out to a chain of 4 via one output and also out to the Bloom on another. I tried plugging the bloom directly into the PBC with no success. I also tried different channels on either side of what I believe to be the correct channel. No dice.
I'm reaching out to Jackson and the maker of the cable to determine if the cable I'm using may be at issue.

This is a common issue with the Bloom and most likely it’s the cable. I had similar issues, and ended up making my own cable. I don’t remember the exact configuration of the cable to be honest, and it’s too difficult to disconnect it from my board to test it again. Ring active may be the correct configuration if that’s what Jackson says, but the tip (and ground) also has to be connected to the right lead on the 5-pin end for it to work. Jackson’s midi spec is different than what most other pedals require.

Just to share my experience: I am using MIDI Box 4 with my Jackon Asabi & Golden boy. Everything works well :)

Just a quick look at the image of the Disaster Area Midi Box 4 explains what I was getting at. Ring active is the configuration of jkarbel’s cable. But the DA device has the ring active configuration for Chase Bliss and a different one (“TRS Midi”)for Jackson, Boss, and Cooper. Both the ring and the tip need to be connected to the right lead in the 5-pin connector.

Back