Latency Between Preset Changes

Wesley Winford

When I swap between presets on my mastermind (especially ones from low gain to high gain) there is a noticeable amount of latency which is making my preset changes for different sections of songs very choppy. I have noticed that if I turn off clickstopper then it goes away, but then that makes all my preset changes have an audible popping noise which can get annoying since I use delay and reverb a good bit. Anyone know how to fix this problem without having to turn off clickstopper?

It's not latency, it's the click stopper muting the signal for a few milliseconds. Unfortunately, there are only two choices: you can have the click stopper, or you can have the click. You can try tuning the click stopper - the length of time it mutes is user configurable in the audio settings section. You may be able to get away with reducing the mute length.

Also, see if some pedals are more "clicky" than others - if the pedal leaks DC current out of its output, it will produce louder clicks when switched. A pedal with this issue could possibly be repaired, replacing the output capacitor and possibly adding a bleed resistor, or you could add a buffer or isolation transformer between the pedal output and loop return. That would get rid of the additional click.

It's not latency, it's the click stopper muting the signal for a few milliseconds. Unfortunately, there are only two choices: you can have the click stopper, or you can have the click. You can try tuning the click stopper - the length of time it mutes is user configurable in the audio settings section. You may be able to get away with reducing the mute length.

Also, see if some pedals are more "clicky" than others - if the pedal leaks DC current out of its output, it will produce louder clicks when switched. A pedal with this issue could possibly be repaired, replacing the output capacitor and possibly adding a bleed resistor, or you could add a buffer or isolation transformer between the pedal output and loop return. That would get rid of the additional click.

Would I run into any issues setting the CS Pre Time and CS Post Time to 1msec?

I've never encountered latency until I started to use one IA button to change Presets instead of having preset buttons. Anyone else experience this?

I've never encountered latency until I started to use one IA button to change Presets instead of having preset buttons. Anyone else experience this?

That's not something that I would expect to happen. If you'd like me to look into it, please send me your settings file.

Are you referring to the Device PC + and Device PC - buttons on page 6? If that's the case, I noticed that there's one button with a hold function on it. When a button has a hold function, it doesn't do anything until the button is released. The PBC needs to wait to see if you are going to hold the button long enough to trigger the hold function, so it can't act until the hold time has elapsed or the button is released.'

Does the perceived latency happen on all of the buttons, or is it specific to the Mobius + button?

Are you referring to the Device PC + and Device PC - buttons on page 6? If that's the case, I noticed that there's one button with a hold function on it. When a button has a hold function, it doesn't do anything until the button is released. The PBC needs to wait to see if you are going to hold the button long enough to trigger the hold function, so it can't act until the hold time has elapsed or the button is released.'

Does the perceived latency happen on all of the buttons, or is it specific to the Mobius + button?

This very issue almost got me one time. I thought there was an issue then realized it was a hold button!

No, I am referring to "Page 7", the "Preset +/Preset -" button. When switching to the next preset there's a slight pause that wasn't happening before. I just checked my settings and that button does have a hold function. Maybe undoing that would solve the problem. Thought I would put them on the same button to save real estate. So is it safe to say that if a button has a hold function, it might introduce some latency? Ill try it out tomorrow, thanks!!

Effectively, yes. A button with a hold function will not operate as quickly as one that does not have a hold function. The latency is the time it takes for you to take your foot off the button.

Back