Length of SysEx strings

Alexander

The RJM allows SysEx messages of 16 bytes.

To control stuff on the Axe-Fx III through SysEx, 23 bytes are needed.

Is it possible to extend the current length of SySex messages on the GT?

P.S. I tried to split the long SySex strings into two separate SysEx rows, but can't get that to work.

Last edited:
You should be able to send two Sysex messages in a row, I'll have to test that to see what it isn't working for you.

It's wouldn't be too hard to extend the Sysex size by cutting the number of Sysex messages in half, but I'll have to do some research to see what it would take to increase size while keeping the message count the same.

Hi guys,
New LT user here trying to send sysex messages larger than 16 bytes... when you say you can send two sysex message in a row do you mean splitting the sysex message across the off and on part of the action and use a momentary switch? Or can you have two sysex actions (or more) in a row and split larger messages across the separate off and on sysex in each action?
Cheers, Paul

You can use more than one Sysex action in a row - sysex actions don't do any sanity checking of the data, so you can break up messages over as many actions as you like.

Ok awesome thanks, I got it working over the MIDI connections... Can sysex messages be sent over the USB midi?

Ok awesome thanks, I got it working over the MIDI connections... Can sysex messages be sent over the USB midi?

Yes, just make sure that the device you're sending to has MIDI Port set to USB in the Devices tab, and all messages sent to it will go over the USB port.

Yes, just make sure that the device you're sending to has MIDI Port set to USB in the Devices tab, and all messages sent to it will go over the USB port.
Hmm I can't seem to get the sysex messages over USB but most probably just user error... I'll try again after work...

Ok I can't seem to send sysex messages larger than 16 bytes over USB midi. One row of up to 16 bytes works fine for me but I cant get the longer multi-row ones that work on the MIDI Out port to work over USB. I'll keep trying...

No luck here with larger than 16 byte messages over USB midi, has anyone else been able to do this or is it a limitation/bug/user error?
I can probably make do with the midi out din connector, just trying to find out exactly what this awesome midi foot controller is capable of...

I have done that but it still isn't working for larger than 16 bytes for me over USB... works fine over midi out port.

Can someone please confirm if they can do larger than 16 byte sysex messages over USB, I need to know if it's a normal limitation or if my LT is faulty while still under warranty... maybe share a .rjs file with one working?
I've had a few other midi issues with merge and forwarding as well when I connected a Roland electric kit to the midi in port, some notes didn't come through USB or the midi out. I am hoping to not have to buy another midi to USB cable.

Can someone please confirm if they can do larger than 16 byte sysex messages over USB, I need to know if it's a normal limitation or if my LT is faulty while still under warranty... maybe share a .rjs file with one working?
I've had a few other midi issues with merge and forwarding as well when I connected a Roland electric kit to the midi in port, some notes didn't come through USB or the midi out. I am hoping to not have to buy another midi to USB cable.

I'll try to allocate some time to try it today. I can tell you for sure it can't be a hardware issue that a repair would fix. It's likely a software issue.

Ok, thank you!
So the main things would be the multiple rows of sysex messages over USB, and as I mentioned in my last post midi in from a TD20 electric kit seems to be 'choked' like two midi notes can't be forwarded or merged at the same time. (i.e. kick midi note at the same time as a tom midi note).
Not sure if it will help or not but the Roland TD20 is constantly sending active sensing info...
Much appreciated, cheers Paul

Ok, thank you!
So the main things would be the multiple rows of sysex messages over USB, and as I mentioned in my last post midi in from a TD20 electric kit seems to be 'choked' like two midi notes can't be forwarded or merged at the same time. (i.e. kick midi note at the same time as a tom midi note).
Not sure if it will help or not but the Roland TD20 is constantly sending active sensing info...
Much appreciated, cheers Paul

It would be very helpful if you had a MIDI monitor to see what's going into the GT and what's coming out of it. Otherwise, I'm not sure that I can solve the problem remotely.

Ok no worries, how would I monitor the input before pedal and the output after at the same time? I'd need a midi splitter and two midi inputs into the computer wouldn't I? I'll see what I can do...

And sorry if this is hijacking this thread in the wrong direction/location, I am using a LT. The sysex length topic was what brought me here...

Ok no worries, how would I monitor the input before pedal and the output after at the same time? I'd need a midi splitter and two midi inputs into the computer wouldn't I? I'll see what I can do...

And sorry if this is hijacking this thread in the wrong direction/location, I am using a LT. The sysex length topic was what brought me here...

You wouldn't necessarily need to monitor in and out at the same time as long as you can generate the same messages each time.

No problem about the LT, the MIDI firmware is the same on the LT and the GT.

Ok cool, of course! I'll be able to do that straight into the TD20 sequencer or with a DAW. Thanks, I'll be back with some snapshots.

Alrighty, I've got some results to share. I used the same midi pattern played from the Roland TD20 in each case, and I have it set up as a device on the midi in port of the LT on channel 10.
First up was my TD20 kit direct into my computer midi interface. It generated 90 lines of midi commands starting with 56 lines before the midi notes of the pattern started? So the pattern is only 34 lines but all of the sounds play in SD3. If I play the kit directly all the lines before the first $B9 wouldn't be there, it's something to do with the TD20 sequencer.
Next I connected the TD20 midi out to the LT midi in and turned on merge. This time only 38 lines total, with not as many commands at the start (15?).

Attachments

• TD20-direct.txt
    954 bytes · Views: 0
  • TD20-direct.jpg
    TD20-direct.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • TD20-to-LT-midi-in-merge-midi-out.txt
    389 bytes · Views: 0
  • TD20-to-LT-midi-in-merge-midi-out.jpg
    TD20-to-LT-midi-in-merge-midi-out.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I then changed the midi merge to forward and recorded the midi going to the USB port. This time only 29 lines total, same 15 lines at the start as previous setup?

Ah yeah and as for the the sysex messages it's just anything bigger than one row over USB doesn't work for me, but over midi out does work.

Hope that helps work this out!
Cheers, Paul

Attachments

• TD20-to-LT-midi-in-forward-USB-out.txt
    290 bytes · Views: 0
  • TD20-to-LT-midi-in-forward-USB-out.jpg
    TD20-to-LT-midi-in-forward-USB-out.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back