Line6 DL4 MII odd behavior

CaliCaveman

I just put the Line6 DL4 MII on the board and can confirm a weird behavior between the unit and the RJM.

I've tried different midi cables to test and consistently over a period of 5-10 minutes, when the RJM midi out is going to the midi in of the DL4, at some point the DL4 goes into a some kind of loop sound like machine gun but really fast and electronic sounding of course. I can repeat the issue consistently. If I leave the midi cables unplugged from the unit the issue does not happen at all. So, it seems I'm dealing with a buggy midi issue on the unit, or is there some setting I should be careful with for line6 stuff or how I added the device? I just used generic device setup on midi channel 1 for it. All the CC commands and PC changes seem to work just fine. I'm thinking maybe the midi clock or something, but if anyone has anything I should try setting wise, that would be great. I haven't seen an issue like this before, but it's a new unit just released, so it's very possible it needs an update already or something....

Thanks.

I've never seen any issue with the PBC where things change like that over time. I have no experience with the new DL4, so I don't know if there are any issues. It would be a good test to turn off MIDI clock on the PBC and see if that changes anything.

I've never seen any issue with the PBC where things change like that over time. I have no experience with the new DL4, so I don't know if there are any issues. It would be a good test to turn off MIDI clock on the PBC and see if that changes anything.
ok, I'll try turning off midi clock. It's probably an issue with their new unit or something... man tshooting and not playing is such a bummer...thank you for the response.

Just confirmed that turning off the midi clock didn't help at all. the issue happened in a few minutes again. Arrg...maybe I just have a bad unit, who knows. it's useless to me this way that's for sure.

Does it happen if the PBC is connected, but you do nothing at all with the PBC for 5-10 minutes?

Correct. It doesn’t even take 5-10 every time. I can start playing a tune and it will happen. I have to unplug the dl4. If I leave the midi cable disconnected it works fine.

I could try daisy chaining it off another pedal first so the dl4 is not directly connected to the rjm, but I don’t know if that’s even worth testing but I can try it if you think that’s an idea.

It's worth a try.

What's puzzling is that you say that it works fine with the PBC not connected, but it doesn't work with it connected, even if MIDI clock is disabled. If MIDI clock is disabled in the PBC and you don't press any buttons, the PBC won't send any MIDI at all, so I can't understand why it would matter if it's connected or not.

Exactly! Totally agree with you. I did plug in a different delay direct to the rjm, then from that delay daisy chain to the dl4 and the issue happened again. I think the pedal is just defective somehow. I’ve never seen something like this before either and have no idea why without a midi connector it’s fine. I even tried plugging in a midi cable with nothing on the other end and it also worked fine. I was thinking maybe something on the connector itself could be bad but that didn’t trigger the issue. I’m going to get a replacement if I can and see how it goes. Thanks for all your input, you’re the best!

Exactly! Totally agree with you. I did plug in a different delay direct to the rjm, then from that delay daisy chain to the dl4 and the issue happened again. I think the pedal is just defective somehow. I’ve never seen something like this before either and have no idea why without a midi connector it’s fine. I even tried plugging in a midi cable with nothing on the other end and it also worked fine. I was thinking maybe something on the connector itself could be bad but that didn’t trigger the issue. I’m going to get a replacement if I can and see how it goes. Thanks for all your input, you’re the best!
Not sure if you got this sorted, but I built a pedalboard for a client last year that used a DL4 MK2. The MIDI controller in this case is the Morningstar MC8 and his DL4 MK2 behaves exactly the same, it'll just randomly change to a really fast delay, machine gun like.

MIDI plugged in = DL4 MK2 random sound changes
MIDI not plugged in = DL4 MK2 well behaved

Did you ever get this resolved? If so, how?

Thank you!
jg

I don't have a DL4 Mk2, but I do have a Line 6 HX One, which has a few bugs that have been discussed at length on TGP. During that conversation, one of their Product Managers posted this:

Not sure if what you're experiencing is a software issue or not, or indeed if it's part of the list of software bugs they're hopefully fixing soon, but hopefully!

I don't have a DL4 Mk2, but I do have a Line 6 HX One, which has a few bugs that have been discussed at length on TGP. During that conversation, one of their Product Managers posted this:

Not sure if what you're experiencing is a software issue or not, or indeed if it's part of the list of software bugs they're hopefully fixing soon, but hopefully!
That’s hopeful news! Thank you!

Back