Looking for help with complicated rig

sbanville

Hi all,
I'd like to call out for help in configuring my rig.

Bogner XTC
G-Major
Dunlop Rack Wha
Incorporate Piezo
Music Man JP BFR w/ Piezo
Ground Control Pro

I would like to run a stereo cable into the front panel input, with one of the mono signals from the stereo cable to go to
the input of the dunlop rack wha, then from the output of the wha into loops 1-4. I would then like the other mono cable to go into a loop where I can designate some FX for my Piezo which needs to be directed to a direct box then to the P.A
I would then like to configure a my TC G-Major into my FX loop of the Bogner and control everything with the GCP.

Can someone please suggest a configuration?

Thanks,

Steve

We talking an RG-16 or an Effect Gizmo here? You didn't specify. AFAIK while the Effect Gizmo has a stereo pass-thru, I'm not sure the RG-16 does. Effect Gizmo would be slightly easier to configure, but depends if you're needing the RG-16's function switching. Splitting the signal is easy - just need an insert cable (TRS to 2x TS jacks), and one will carry the electric signal, the other the acoustic. Then as you say, electric path > rack wah > loops 1-4 > bogner input; acoustic path > loop 5-8 (or just 5, or 5&6 etc on the RG-16) > DI box. You'd connect your GCP via MIDI to your Effect Gizmo / RG-16 (which would most likely be on MIDI channel 1), connect the MIDI thru to the G-Major (probably MIDI channel 2), and away you go. You could use loops 10-12 on the Effect Gizmo, or the Function switches on the RG-16, to change your amp settings as appropriate (or alternatively the switch jack on the G-Major, which will do the same job).

EDIT: Just checked the manual... the RG-16 DOES have a stereo pass-thru jack, so it's not a problem either way.

Thanks for the reply. It wasn't clear to me in the documentation when using a TSR cable in the front panel input, if the stero signal would be split across two loops. Not sure if this is the case. Also for the dunlop connection, I was running a cable into the front panel, then taking the signal from the "fromfront" port in the rear of the RG to the input of the dunlop then from the output of the dunlop to the rear input just right of the "buffer out" port.
Does this sound correct?

sbanville said:
Thanks for the reply. It wasn't clear to me in the documentation when using a TSR cable in the front panel input, if the stero signal would be split across two loops. Not sure if this is the case.

It doesn't, no. If you have anything plugged into the "from front" jack, then nothing will go directly to the buffer. They're only normalled so that if nothing's connected to either jack, the internal connections work instead. The buffer and the loops are all mono. It's only the pass-thru jack that is stereo compatible.

Also for the dunlop connection, I was running a cable into the front panel, then taking the signal from the "fromfront" port in the rear of the RG to the input of the dunlop then from the output of the dunlop to the rear input just right of the "buffer out" port.
Does this sound correct?

Yep, spot on. Hence the need for the Y-cable (actually an insert cable - you need the tip to go to one jack, and the ring to go to the other) coming out of the "from front" port when you're using the stereo cable for acoustic sounds. As a general guide, I'd use the TIP connector for your electric signal path - this will allow you to still use it with a mono cable, without the acoustic signal path of course. I imagine that's how the guitar is wired too. Out of curiosity, why aren't you using the buffer? It's one of the best sounding buffers I've heard. I'd probably connect the output from the Dunlop wah to the buffer in jack.

M.

I was having some problems with noise when using the buffer. I was going to try humfree adapters on my rack or Hum X to see if the noise goes away.

Back