Loops Stop Working

Devin B

Hey guys! I’m having a new problem I haven’t seen before. I have drive pedals set up in Loops 2 - 5. This morning, loops 2 & 4 just stopped working when activated.

At first, I thought it was a cable issue, but it is not. If Loop 2 is active but the pedal is turned off, it’s like a true bypass and volume is normal. The moment the pedal is turned on, the volume either cuts completely or sounds really far away. Loop 4 has the same problem.

Here is the strange thing... if Loop 3 is active and THEN you turn on Loop 2, they stack and Loop 2 works. The moment Loop 3 is turned off, Loop 2 stops working again. Loops 5 & 4 have the same relationship. If Loops 5 is on, then Loop 4 will work.

Nothing has changed with my rig.

Please let me know if anyone has run in to this or has a solution!

This sounds like an intermittent or marginal cable causing an impedance issue. Turning on another pedal effectively places a buffer in the signal path, fixing the impedance issue.

There is one bad cable somewhere in or after loop 4, and possibly one in or after loop 2 (but before loop 4).

The first thing I recommend trying - if you have loop 2 turned on, does turning on loop 5 fix the problem?

What do you have after loop 5? Are any other loops turned on, and where does the signal go from there. Is this a PBC/10 or PBC/6X? Are you using solderless cables?

Back