LT & Kemper help

Brooksbell

Asking for guidance that might cure my frustration.

I have a kemper and LT setup. Running a BTPA snake with power and 2 midi cables at one end and a 7 pin midi at the other end into the LT.

I have all of the button pages setup like I want them. Presets (performance slots) on first page, Effect blocks on the second and third page.

I want the LT to be able to automatically read which effect blocks I have on on each slot of each performance of the kemper. I do all of my effect programming on the kemper itself. The LT is either not reading the correct effects that are supposed to be on, or it is changing the effects that are on to something random. I just want the LT to be able to read the effects that are already on in a performance on the Kemper after I create the song in the RJM software.

Make sure that all of your buttons that control effect blocks have Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change turned off. Also Bidirectional MIDI needs to be turned on in MIDI settings.

This is basically disabling much of Slave Mode. When in slave mode, the buttons don't update based on the Kemper effect state, so you need to switch away from slave mode to get it to work the way you want.

But, turning off Slave Mode isn't enough - buttons created when in Slave Mode will continue to act the same way unless you switch to normal mode and reassign the buttons (or edit the send/update on preset change settings as I described above)

I don't know if this will clarify or confuse, but here's another explanation:

The button settings Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change are the important ones. When they're both turned on, the Mastermind will ignore effect block status from the Kemper and will use its own saved button states for each preset, which can be changed using the editor or holding the Function button to store button states.

When Send and Update Preset Change are turned off, the Mastermind will update the button states based on status reports received from the Kemper.

All Slave Mode does is change how the buttons are assigned. Any IA buttons assigned when Slave Mode is on will have Send/Update on Preset Change turned on, and any IA buttons assigned when Slave Mode is off will have Send/Update on Preset Change turned off.

Note that this only applies to IA buttons assigned using Assign CC > Kemper in the editor, or editing an IA button using Edit Buttons on the LT to assign a button to control the Kemper.

Back