Manual Volante On/Off (Individual Preset)

gitapik

Hi. I've got the Mastermind PBC/6X. A powerfully lovely little beast!

I've had it a while but had to take a break from that board for awhile. Now I'm back and am hoping for some direction.

I've got the Volante as my only midi device. Last in the chain. Set up as midi...not in a port.

I'd like to set a few of my presets so that the Volante is available but not "On" when I switch to that pedal array...but want to retain the aspect of it being on, as a universal default.

I'm figuring that this is possible, but am a bit stumped.

My thanks in advance for anyone with an answer and a request for a favorite video or two where I could learn more about the midi functionality of the unit.

That's a bit tricky because the only way to manage on/off when it's not in a loop is to use CC, which can be difficult to track its state as you switch between presets and you have to add CCs to every preset or IA you would use to "force" the state you want for that preset. If I were in that situation, I'd probably create a preset on the Volante with 0% mix, keep the pedal on all the time, and use the 0% preset as my "off state" preset.

Following because I'm curious to hear if there's another solution.

Thank you. Can you tell me how I would set it to be available and in manual with "off" as the default in a single preset?

Thanks for the link. Will check it out!

I mean that, when I go to that preset, I'd like to have the Volante available with a specific midi command number...but I want the unit to be bypassed when I first go into that preset. Then be able to switch it on and off while in that preset. But when I leave and then return to the preset, I'd like the Volante to be in bypass, to start.

Hmmm... what you’re describing almost sounds like a second PBC preset, but if you want to have on and off states on the Volante on every preset then it will get cumbersome. If you have a button to spare, you could create a global button that only turns the Volante on and off, or you could do it on the pedal itself if it’s accessible enough on your board.

What about just having two presets for each configuration of pedals you want? i.e., one with the Volante on, and another with it off?

Or perhaps using an expression pedal to bring the Volante in and out using the Echo Level parameter?

Hmmm... what you’re describing almost sounds like a second PBC preset, but if you want to have on and off states on the Volante on every preset then it will get cumbersome. If you have a button to spare, you could create a global button that only turns the Volante on and off, or you could do it on the pedal itself if it’s accessible enough on your board.

What about just having two presets for each configuration of pedals you want? i.e., one with the Volante on, and another with it off?

Or perhaps using an expression pedal to bring the Volante in and out using the Echo Level parameter?
Yes...I've been doing it on the pedal itself, which is very accessible. It's just that it's engaged when the preset comes on. I'd like it to be off.

Sounds like the second preset and/or an expression pedal is the way to go. Thanks, Josh. Have a good one!

To me, it sounds like an IA button that controls the the pedal's bypass would be what you would need. If you create an IA button that controls the Bypass parameter on the pedal, and turn on Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change, the button will automaitcally turn off and send a bypass message to the pedal every time you change presets.

If you're using the pedal's own button to turn it on, you don't even need the button to be accessible on the actual PBC. Assign Bypass to a button on an unused page (making sure that Max Page is set to include that button page). The pedal will start automatically bypassing on every preset change.

To me, it sounds like an IA button that controls the the pedal's bypass would be what you would need. If you create an IA button that controls the Bypass parameter on the pedal, and turn on Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change, the button will automaitcally turn off and send a bypass message to the pedal every time you change presets.

If you're using the pedal's own button to turn it on, you don't even need the button to be accessible on the actual PBC. Assign Bypass to a button on an unused page (making sure that Max Page is set to include that button page). The pedal will start automatically bypassing on every preset change.
Very cool. I’ll give it a shot. The pedal is accessible so I’ll use your second option. Thanks!

This sounds solved but I have an Eventide H9 not in a loop that I control via MIDI in a similar way as GITAPIK. The H9 has an always on 'reverb' preset (16 in my case) and any IA or cycle button that selects other presets, I just set the Off PC for that comment to 16 so that if I ever invoke another preset, just turning it off brings me back to my 'Global' H9 setting, which can be a preset in the bypass position.

Back