Marshall DSL401 + Mini Amp Gizmo ?

graelignites

Hi, I am very interested in purchasing a mini amp gizmo, but I amp not sure if it will achieve what I want on a DSL401. I currently use a JMP-1 live, and have had a hard time getting away from it because using its built in MIDI control I can I can control the amp patch changes and my effects changes simultaneously from either my M13 or HD500. I recently got a DSL401 in a road case in order to simplify my rig, and I found the mini amp gizmo while searching for a solution run my rig how I do with the JMP-1

While the MAG seems like a perfect solution, I am not sure how well it might work with a DSL401 as it has only a 2 button switching setup, not a dedicated channel one such as a TSL100. The only footswitch buttons are CLEAN/OVERDRIVE which switches between either the clean or distorted channels, and the OD1/OD2 switch which determines which of the two distortion channels you change to when you change from clean to overdrive.

My main concern is this: If I am switching between two patches that both use distortion, will it just change the channel then to clean?

Secondly, if I am misunderstanding how the MAG might work with the DSL401, would it be possible to have any patch change to any amp channel (Clean/OD1/OD2) with just one patch change?

I am not well versed in the mystical arts of how exactly the footswitches send their info, so I am not sure if it is a strict A/B, or if it can stay on A or B, I just fear that if I am, say, changing between two patches that are supposed to be on the distorted channel (lets call it B), the second program change (B again) will end up changing it to A.

Any info that anyone could provide would greatly help towards making my purchasing decision on this!

Attachments

• dslfootswitch.jpg
    dslfootswitch.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
While I can't speak for the exact specifics of your amp, it looks like just a standard two button footswitch (one switch shorts the tip to ground, the other the ring), so the MAG should be able to change the functions in exactly the same way as the footswitch. You'll be able to assign whichever combination of the two button presses to your MIDI patch on the MAG for instant recall.

I answered this question over email before I saw this post, but the gist of it was: yes, it'll work! Just don't use an old Mini Amp Gizmo (serial number less than AGM10201). The DSLs have a bad habit of destroying older units.

Back