MASTERMIND GT FIRMWARE 3.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am unable to update my Mastermind GT 16!
The Bootloader get's stuck at "please insert a USB drive..." and then nothing happens. I insereted two different USB sticks (the RJM MSDOS formatted one and another one formatted for Mac). Both only contain one File: MMGT310.rjf. Once I insert the USB stick nothing happens anymore. I waited 5-10 minutes... any suggestions? thanks!
Datei%2009.01.16%2007%2026%2059_zpsscsqvtvf.jpeg

Hi All,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm using a GT16.
I only saw the issue that A_Rhodes described exactly, in the SETUP mode, when System Functions was pressed.
I do have a Bank Up button in uppermost right location and Bank Down below it in second row.
My unit seems to work just fine in normal mode. And....now when I go into SETUP, I do not experience the issue.
Definitely did it after I downloaded 3.1.0, but does not do it now. Same RJM power supply and same cable to Effects Gizmo.
Can't explain it. Maybe powering down and back up again cleared it. But, I saw it several times after the initial firmware download.

Secondary, unrelated question. Can I limit the number of presets or set a limit so the bank up goes 2 or 3 banks up and either rolls
over or just sits at the highest bank. I'm only using 18 presets right now. If so where do I do it?

Oh, and Ron...the PC+1/PC-1 function works flawlessly with my M5. Thanx so much for incorporating that feature.
Bobruz

Bobruz here again. I just powered up and was playing thru some presets in normal mode
and I hit the Bank UP button and it went into the counting up mode. Counted up into the 700's
and I could only reset it by powering down. No response from any other action I did.
So I have experienced the up-counting in both System and Normal modes.

I am unable to update my Mastermind GT 16!
The Bootloader get's stuck at "please insert a USB drive..." and then nothing happens. I insereted two different USB sticks (the RJM MSDOS formatted one and another one formatted for Mac). Both only contain one File: MMGT310.rjf. Once I insert the USB stick nothing happens anymore. I waited 5-10 minutes... any suggestions? thanks!
Datei%2009.01.16%2007%2026%2059_zpsscsqvtvf.jpeg

I recommend trying it a few more times. With some marginal flash drives, it takes a few tries. Don't bother with the Mac formatted drive, that definitely won't work. If you have another PC formatted drive, that would be worth trying.

I recommend trying it a few more times. With some marginal flash drives, it takes a few tries. Don't bother with the Mac formatted drive, that definitely won't work. If you have another PC formatted drive, that would be worth trying.
thanks! i reformatted the second usb stick then it worked!

Just installed. Still having the issue with Kemper stomps/FX not reading the stomp/FX type or even setting the correct stomps as enabled for all presets. At this point, I don't even care if the proper name is displayed, I just want it to highlight the correct stomps.

Do you have the Kemper and GT connected with two MIDI cables? (Or using our phantom power box?) The second connection is required to get the data back from the Kemper.

Yes I do. 7-PIN cable + phantom power. I use the Kemper, also, in performance mode, but I only use PC #'s for my patches, instead of saying "performance 1" == "RJM preset 1." Hasn't worked since I veered off that path. I sent you my settings a while back and never heard anything.

If I enable auto names/sync names, it screws up my preset names, though it doesn't update the effects names. but it's obvious it's talking both ways because it gets the preset name from the Kemper. It just never gets the effect names or their state.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by "only using PC#s" The Kemper, in performance mode, has a fixed PC to performance mapping:

PC 0 = performance 1, slot 1
PC 1 = performance 1, slot 2
PC 2 = performance 1, slot 3
PC 5 = performance 2, slot 1
PC 6 = performance 2, slot 2
PC 7 = performance 2, slot 3
PC 10 = performance 3, slot 1
PC 11 = performance 3, slot 2
PC 12 = performance 3, slot 3

etc...

How are you trying to use it?

If the buttons don't update, make sure that "Send on Preset Change" and "Update on Preset Change" are turned OFF on all buttons that control Kemper effect blocks. Also on the Devices page, make sure the device type is "KPA" and not "KPA (slave)". Also make sure that "Ignore incoming CCs" is turned off.

I can best give an example.

I have, in performance 1, my "Vox" amp sounds. In performance 2, my "acoustic" sounds, performance 3, my "artist" sounds (based off songs). They are more "base" sounds rather than performances, as I also use a few pedals in a Mini Effect Gizmo loop, a Strymon Timeline, and a Strymon BigSky.

This is a common "alternative" way that many of the Kemper users over on the forums are using performance mode. This provides increased speed on switching between rigs, as well as a more organized architecture.

If I want to use the same Vox sound that's in performance 1, slot 3 (which is my basic clean sound), I create presets based off that performance. I might use that performance 1, slot 3 on 10 different presets by sending PC #3 for those presets. One might have an overdrive toggled, another has a massive reverb and delay sound, etc.

I just checked:
- All Kemper buttons have Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset change set to off
- The device type is KPA, not slave
- Ignore incoming CCs is off

Additionally, "Auto Names" and "Sync Names" are both off, as they overwrite the preset names I've written. I don't want to use the names from the Kemper, as, like I said before, I might have a dozen presets based off one performance slot. However, after backing up my settings, I tried switching both on, and it still doesn't seem as if the stomps update their names.

On the Kemper, "Rig Autoload" is off, and "Perf. Load" is "pending."

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if you'd like an updated copy of my settings. I appreciate your help Ron.

Oh, I should add that, occasionally, and with no regularity, I'll see a "MMGT 3.1.0 connected" or "MIDI controller connected" message on the screen. When that happens, the stomps DO update. This is something that hasn't happened in weeks. However, whatever settings the slot on the Kemper has set seem to become global for all patches on the MMGT (and the buttons are not set to global buttons). For instance, it doesn't matter if I have a COMP or a DIST or a WWAH in Stomp A, it always displays whatever that preset was on when it connected.

After a few moments, I get a "disconnected" message. It still has the little icon showing two-way communication, but it doesn't seem to be talking properly.

I tried turning on "Send Redundant PCs," which seems to, for the most part, correct the stomps on/off status and whether or not a stomp is implemented (blacked out), but the names are still wonky. I don't have a guitar connected at the moment so I can't verify whether or not that's an OK thing in regards to tone and any inter-patch noise/pops/etc., but from a purely electronic standpoint, at least it gets half the issue resolved.

Ah, I see now. That kind of PC use shouldn't make a difference. If the problem is (or was) intermittent, I have to wonder if there's a bad MIDI port on one or the other device, or bad MIDI cable.

I recommend trying some tests:

- Connect GT MIDI Out to Kemper MIDI In, Kemper MIDI Out to GT MIDI In, no phantom power box
- Try different MIDI cables
- Use a computer with MIDI interface to check MIDI transmissions (if available. I can give some details on this if needed)
- Use the GT's system test to check MIDI cables and the GT's MIDI ports (I can also give more details if you get to this point)

Bobruz here again. I just powered up and was playing thru some presets in normal mode
and I hit the Bank UP button and it went into the counting up mode. Counted up into the 700's
and I could only reset it by powering down. No response from any other action I did.
So I have experienced the up-counting in both System and Normal modes.

Bob, are you using any external switches, and if so, what kind?

Ok, A_Rhodes' setup only does the bank thing with an external switch connected. Still working on a solution, but getting closer...

I recommend trying some tests:

- Connect GT MIDI Out to Kemper MIDI In, Kemper MIDI Out to GT MIDI In, no phantom power box
- Try different MIDI cables
- Use a computer with MIDI interface to check MIDI transmissions (if available. I can give some details on this if needed)
- Use the GT's system test to check MIDI cables and the GT's MIDI ports (I can also give more details if you get to this point)

I'll give these a try in the next few days. My grandfather's in the hospital, and haven't done any work, so... guitar's on the backburner unfortunately. I'll get back to you this weekend or early next week.

I do have multiple MIDI interfaces, and I'm OS X. What software can I use to check these messages? I know Logic X does a good job at MIDI mapping - would that be sufficient?

Logic has a MIDI monitor window, I believe, and that would work. There's also the free "MIDI Monitor" app available on snoize.com

I've figured out the endlessly repeating bank button issue. This is partially due to a bug in 3.1.0, but it also requires that you have a switch that's stuck in the on position. The bug causes a repeat capable button (like bank up/down) to repeat if any button is held down. In A_Rhodes' case, it was using a latching switch instead of a momentary switch in an external switch input. In other cases, there may be an actual stuck switch. I have a fix for this coming in 3.1.1, but if you're seeing this issue and you don't have an external switch connected, I recommend you contact me to figure out what's wrong with your switches.

I need to deal with an editor issue, but once I do that, I'll post 3.1.1...

Hi Ron,
I do have a highly sensitive button in row 2, pos 1 or far left on my GT16.
Sometimes it will actuate randomly from stage vibration or pressing another button near it.
That's the closest I get to a stuck button in my setup. I don't use any externals at this point.
I will use an exp. pedal if my Helix rack unit ever ships.

I've just released 3.1.1 - this fixes the repeat issue and a bunch of others (see my update at the top of the thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back