Mastermind GT Firmware 5.2.1 / Editor 5.2.0

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Firmware 5.2.1 & editor version 5.2.0 are now available!

FEATURES:
  • New device support:
    • Chase Bliss Bliss Factory and Reverse Mode C
    • Electro-Harmonix 8 Step
    • Hologram Microcosm
    • Kemper Profiler update: add looper controls
    • Line 6 HX One
    • Meris Mercury X
    • RJM Music Full English
  • Added "Use Song Index" MIDI setting, which controls whether an incoming MIDI bank number selects a song by its number, or whether it selects by index (1st song in the setlist, 2nd song in the setlist, etc.)
  • Added "Clock Pulse Limit" MIDI setting, which causes the Mastermind to send only a specific number of MIDI clock pulses each time the tempo changes. This makes it work effectively like tap tempo, just much faster. Setting this to 0 keeps the default behavior (continuously send clock pulses).
  • Added special value "Preset" to the System / Page action. This shows the button page indicated by the currently loaded preset.
  • Added special value "Preset" to the PC action. This sends the PC stored in the current preset for the selected device.
BUG FIXES:
  • Fixed a bug that caused external switches on pages 2 and higher from properly switching audio features
  • Fixed a bug that caused the LEDs not to update when dismissing the tuner screen
  • Fixed issues in the setup menus relating to the "clear" button
  • Fixed a bug in the PC Edit menu that caused it to not calculate presets and banks correctly
UPDATE 4/9/2024:
Version 5.2.1 includes the following fix:
  • Fixed a bug in the System / Page "preset" special value
You can also read the full change log if you like.

TO UPDATE FIRMWARE:

PLEASE DON'T DO A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE RIGHT BEFORE YOUR BIG GIG!

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.7 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Copy the file to a USB flash drive, and remove any other .rjf files from the flash drive.
- Eject the drive from your computer.
- Power on the Mastermind while holding the 1 and 3 buttons.
- Keep holding until you see "Mastermind Bootloader" appear on the screen.
- Now plug the flash drive into your Mastermind. The update should begin and will take a few minutes to complete.

-OR-

- First, back up your settings to a flash drive or computer! If you go back to 4.7 or earlier, your Mastermind will factory reset.
- Download and unzip the firmware file.
- Use the editor's Transfer / Update Firmware menu option to update the Mastermind. This works with the PBC/6X and PBC/10s made after March 2019.

Firmware: https://www.rjmmusic.com/download-content/MMGT/MMGT521.zip

Mac Editor: https://www.rjmmusic.com/download-content/MMGT/MMGTEditor-5.2.0.dmg
PC Editor: https://www.rjmmusic.com/download-content/MMGT/MMGTEditor-5.2.0.zip

Manual: https://www.rjmmusic.com/download-content/MMGT/Mastermind GT Manual-4.3.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you for adding the Preset option for the System Page action! Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to work as expected. I assume "the button page indicated by the currently selected preset" is determined by the Show Page value in the preset's General Settings?

In my test preset, the Page action with the value of Preset always goes to button page 2, but Show Page is set to page 1. Changing the Show Page value has no effect -- it always goes to page 2. On a different preset where Show Page is set to Local Page, it first goes to page 2 and then to page 1 a fraction of a second later.

Thank you for adding the Preset option for the System Page action! Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to work as expected. I assume "the button page indicated by the currently selected preset" is determined by the Show Page value in the preset's General Settings?

In my test preset, the Page action with the value of Preset always goes to button page 2, but Show Page is set to page 1. Changing the Show Page value has no effect -- it always goes to page 2. On a different preset where Show Page is set to Local Page, it first goes to page 2 and then to page 1 a fraction of a second later.
Can you send me your settings file so I can investigate?

Doing some more testing, I'm able to repro the issue after a factory reset. The only changes I made was increasing the Max Button Page value (to have more pages to play with) and adding an IA button on each page to navigate to the Preset Page.

Preset 1 is initially set to show page 1, and the Preset Page action does navigate to page 1 correctly from other pages. Changing the preset Show Page value to another page causes the preset to display that page first upon preset load (as expected), but the Preset Page nav action continues to go back to page 1.

I just emailed you this settings file as well in case it's useful.

Any chance you might do a video showing how and when someone might use the new features. I’ve tried to mess with a couple but I’m clearly not understanding either the intention of the function or how to implement it.

Any chance you might do a video showing how and when someone might use the new features. I’ve tried to mess with a couple but I’m clearly not understanding either the intention of the function or how to implement it.
They're all pretty specific features, from user requests, and probably not something that most people would need. I implemented them because they were really easy to do. Are there specific features you're interested in?

They're all pretty specific features, from user requests, and probably not something that most people would need. I implemented them because they were really easy to do. Are there specific features you're interested in?
Oh I see, I was wondering if any of them might help. In another thread I posted about not being able to turn off the solo button from another button using “Set IA” as I’m now using songs and setlists so instead of turning off blocks in the axefx using I’m simply trying to return to the previous preset in the axe FX. I set a PC and CC on the button which puts me back to the preset I want but for some reason it doesn’t turn off the solo, so if I want to use the solo again I have to hit it once to turn it off and a second time to engage again. If there was a system setting to have the first press on one button act as a second press on another button the would solve it for sure.
I’m trying to avoid the tap dance of having to turn off the solo on the axe FX while at the same time activate the momentary harmony on my vocal processor. All while not being able to look down as I’m singing into a mic.

Oh I see, I was wondering if any of them might help. In another thread I posted about not being able to turn off the solo button from another button using “Set IA” as I’m now using songs and setlists so instead of turning off blocks in the axefx using I’m simply trying to return to the previous preset in the axe FX. I set a PC and CC on the button which puts me back to the preset I want but for some reason it doesn’t turn off the solo, so if I want to use the solo again I have to hit it once to turn it off and a second time to engage again. If there was a system setting to have the first press on one button act as a second press on another button the would solve it for sure.
I’m trying to avoid the tap dance of having to turn off the solo on the axe FX while at the same time activate the momentary harmony on my vocal processor. All while not being able to look down as I’m singing into a mic.
I don't think anything I did in this one would help you out. I'll try to go over your request for the next release and see if there's anything I can do.

@rjmmusic

Hi there,

After updating to the latest firmware my expression pedal 1 is behaving strangely. When I step on the pedal it doesn't sweep but instead jumps around like a random LFO. I tried recalibrating, swapping cables, swapping out a different expression pedal, and checking my settings in the editor as well as in my Axe Fx III. I don't see anything strange. Expression pedals 2-4 function as normal. File attached, appreciate any help. Thanks!

Attachments

• CGGT.rjs
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@rjmmusic

Hi there,

After updating to the latest firmware my expression pedal 1 is behaving strangely. When I step on the pedal it doesn't sweep but instead jumps around like a random LFO. I tried recalibrating, swapping cables, swapping out a different expression pedal, and checking my settings in the editor as well as in my Axe Fx III. I don't see anything strange. Expression pedals 2-4 function as normal. File attached, appreciate any help. Thanks!
Does it do anything weird if nothing at all is plugged into the expression pedal 1 input? Or if the pedal isn't moving?

I don't think anything I did in this one would help you out. I'll try to go over your request for the next release and see if there's anything I can do.
There may not be any need to add this functionality. I think I have discovered a solution using System>Preset>Alternate on the button assigned to my harmony on the vocal processor and then assigning the rhythm preset as the alternate on the solo button.

• Added special value "Preset" to the System / Page action. This shows the button page indicated by the currently loaded preset.
  • Added special value "Preset" to the PC action. This sends the PC stored in the current preset for the selected device.
Whoa! The changeset I never knew I needed! These actually help with a couple scenarios I've been thinking about! Thanks!

Hey Ron,
I just finally loaded 5.2.0 on my GT22, still connecting to my AxeFX-III which currently has FW25.01. I can't be 100% that I have my setting exactly the same as my previous 4.8.1, but I sure don't see any differences. The reason I'm writing, is the GT22 doesn't seem to recognize when/if I make selections using AxeEdit 1.13.20, such as changing scenes or selecting a different preset. It sure seems these were in lock-step on previous iterations, no matter whether selections were made via GT22 or AxeEdit. Is my memory faulty, or any other ideas?

Hope you and family are well!

Cheers,
Lee

Hey Ron,
I just finally loaded 5.2.0 on my GT22, still connecting to my AxeFX-III which currently has FW25.01. I can't be 100% that I have my setting exactly the same as my previous 4.8.1, but I sure don't see any differences. The reason I'm writing, is the GT22 doesn't seem to recognize when/if I make selections using AxeEdit 1.13.20, such as changing scenes or selecting a different preset. It sure seems these were in lock-step on previous iterations, no matter whether selections were made via GT22 or AxeEdit. Is my memory faulty, or any other ideas?

Hope you and family are well!

Cheers,
Lee
Poll State (in Devices) is the main setting that controls that behavior. Also, you need a bidirectional connection between GT and Axe-Fx - both the MIDI input and output of the Axe-Fx need to be connected to the GT, either directly or through a phantom power box.

Poll State (in Devices) is the main setting that controls that behavior. Also, you need a bidirectional connection between GT and Axe-Fx - both the MIDI input and output of the Axe-Fx need to be connected to the GT, either directly or through a phantom power box.
Thanks Ron,

Yeah, I def have both Poll State as well as Bidirectional MIDI checked. I have the same two MIDI cables running between my AxeFXIII and my GT22. I confirmed both ends of the two cables are solidly engaged, and no one has removed them from AxeFX or GT22 for many months. I looked through the setup info in my AxeFXIII, hoping I might see something that was awry, but no joy. I noticed that if I adjust from the front of the AxeFX or via AxeEdit, the changes do not reflect on the GT22. If I make a selection on ........ Jeez, it's like I'd forgotten the basic rule I'd drum into all of our computer users. Did you try powering off and bring the computer up fresh?? <Head slap> to myself. So, after a hard power reset on both units, I powered up the AxeFXIII, following by the GT22. All is in sync with the world again. Sorry for any head scratching I may have inflicted.

Best,
Lee

Back