Mastermind GT22/Phantom Power Box Problem

Paulg2uk

Hi guys,

New GT owner here. I've been chatting to Ron about this and I'm waiting for his reply. I thought I'd post on here and see if anyone can help in the meantime.

I'm running the GT with a 1 input phantom power box to an AXE FX II XL+ connections are

Midi Input on box - Axe FX Midi In
Phantom power output on box to GT via 7 pin midi to 6 pin XLR cable. This plugged into the midi out on the GT.

Here's the issue I'm getting power to the GT but the axe and gt don't seem to be communicating with each other. I can't change presets and IA buttons don't work either along with the tuner etc. Bi directional midi is on and both the axe and gt are set to midi channel 1. The 7 pin to 6 pin XLR cable is wired as per the diagram in the GT manual.

The Axe FX has been updated to its latest firmware Quantum 1.02 and the GT has been updated to its latest firmware also 3.02.

Am I missing something? or not turned something on?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks guys

Paul

Last edited:
Some things to check:

Make sure you are powering with the Mastermind AC power supply from the Midi Box. If you plug power adapter into the floorboard communication will not work. On the Axe-Fx make sure you go into I/O >> MIDI >> SEND REALTIME SYSEX = ALL.

Also, when you select EDIT DEVICES on the MM GT 22 board and then select your device (which should say AXE-FX II XL+), right under that switch on the following page should say MIDI channel 1. that is where you set the MIDI channel 1. If you have set MIDI channel 1 under MIDI SETTINGS >> MIDI Rx Ch button on the right side of the board when you come into setup screen, you are setting it in the wrong place. MIDI SETTINGS >> MIDI Rx Ch should say NONE. While you are in MIDI SETTINGS, check to see that MIDI Bidir = ON

Last but not least, make sure you have selected the Axe-FX II XL+ and not accidentally Axe-FX II.

I hope one of these work for you. Im new too, Ha!

-Mark

Some things to check:

Make sure you are powering with the Mastermind AC power supply from the Midi Box. If you plug power adapter into the floorboard communication will not work. On the Axe-Fx make sure you go into I/O >> MIDI >> SEND REALTIME SYSEX = ALL.

Also, when you select EDIT DEVICES on the MM GT 22 board and then select your device (which should say AXE-FX II XL+), right under that switch on the following page should say MIDI channel 1. that is where you set the MIDI channel 1. If you have set MIDI channel 1 under MIDI SETTINGS >> MIDI Rx Ch button on the right side of the board when you come into setup screen, you are setting it in the wrong place. MIDI SETTINGS >> MIDI Rx Ch should say NONE. While you are in MIDI SETTINGS, check to see that MIDI Bidir = ON

Last but not least, make sure you have selected the Axe-FX II XL+ and not accidentally Axe-FX II.

I hope one of these work for you. Im new too, Ha!

-Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark, I've gone back into the settings in the GT and all is set the way you have described. I'm still getting the same problem where the GT and the AXE are not communicating. I've since tried just running a 7 pin midi to 7 pin midi from the box to the mdi out on the GT and that works. So it must be the 6 pin XLR to 7 pin cable that is the problem.

I'm just waiting for the wiring diagram to be emailed to me so I can show Ron. He reckons the XLR side is wired ok and it might be the 7 pin side. Will have to wait and see.

Cheers

Paul

Back