Mastermind PBC/10 Screen Not Working

Hello people,

While I was practicing for my gig on Sunday, the screen on PBC/10 started to show just a blank screen with one line.

I tried to update the firmware to the newest one through Mastermind Editor but failed to communicate (my current version was 5.0.1)

I also tried to factory reset it via USB drive, but since I couldn't see the screen, I think I bricked it, and now it's not booting on correctly and not reacting to any buttons.

I already ordered the replacement screen yesterday, but I'm also worried it might be an internal board problem.

Please let me know what other solution might fix the problem.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
This doesn't sound like just an LCD failure unfortunately. You may have a CPU failure, which we would need to repair here. If you wait to set up an RMA, contact us and support@rjmmusic.com.

There's a small chance that an LCD failure could prevent the rest of the system from working, but it's not something I see happen in general.

Do any of the LEDs turn on when you power it up?

This doesn't sound like just an LCD failure unfortunately. You may have a CPU failure, which we would need to repair here. If you wait to set up an RMA, contact us and support@rjmmusic.com.

There's a small chance that an LCD failure could prevent the rest of the system from working, but it's not something I see happen in general.

Do any of the LEDs turn on when you power it up?
The LEDs and sound were still working fine when the screen first went blank, like the picture I shared.

I don't know when or how it happened because it was just on the floor in my room, and I didn't drop or bang on the board.

I panicked and tried to resolve the problem by trying to update and factory resetting,

What I tried.

1. Updating the device through Mastermind Editor - Failed, error message said, Couldn't communicate with the device (I was able to edit tho)
2. Factory Resetting via USB drive - Used PBCUtil01.rjf and MM510.rjf to reset the device completely. (device not reacting after this process)

Since I couldn't see the screen, I might have unplugged the power too early before one of the processes was completed.

Could LCD failure happen like the picture I showed without any physical damage?

Okay,

To double-check, I tried factory resetting again, and this time, I waited 10 minutes each just to make sure I didn't turn off the power before each process was done, lol.

Long story short, I was able to reset the PBC10, and now it is turning on properly with all LEDs working.

I will try to replace the screen and share the result when it comes in next week.

I still wonder what caused the screen to break like this though, I didn't do anything that would cause the screen to break like this. :(

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpeg
    IMG_0849.jpeg
    926.1 KB · Views: 11
Unfortunately sometimes electronics just fail. Even just powering up and powering down put some stress on components.

Update!

I got the replacement screen today and replaced it with the old one, and now it's back to normal!

I'm glad that it was just a screen problem.

Thank you Ron!

btw, it was so hard to plug all the cables back into PBC10 in the correct order :rolleyes::rolleyes:

IMG_0850.jpeg

Back