MEGX: CC 110 (Input On/Off) has odd behaviour

brndanws

I'm rebuilding some stuff to fix minor gripes with my presets in my MIDI controller, and I've run into an odd bug.
The idea is that rather than mute my output at the end of a particular song, I disable my input via CC, so that my instrument can be muted without interrupting an atmosphere layer from a mtl.asm CT5 (in a loop) that I have whirring away between songs.
If I send 64-127 to CC110 the RJM MEGX it mutes my input but leaves the CT5 audible. Great! But that value shouldn't do anything. It's the "on" range.
If I send 0-63 to CC110 my input is still muted (no signal arrives from my instrument) but it causes some kind of audible feedback loop that isn't present in the other position, even though the CT5 is still audible.
I can't work out precisely what's taking place. 0-63 sounds like my normal noise floor (as if I had manually turned my guitar down) but causes a feedback loop, and "64-127" value is my desired behaviour, but should in fact be "input on", which doesn't re-enable my input and it's quieter than 0-63. So where is it muting? I can't figure it out.
Am I doing something backwards? In any case I can't re-enable my input at all without a program change so the message isn't having the intended result in at least one way.
Would love to get this solved!
Thanks,
Brendan

Last edited:
Please send me your MEGX settings file. Also, please let me know what you have connected to your MEGX.

Please send me your MEGX settings file. Also, please let me know what you have connected to your MEGX.
Here's the settings, (pretty normal stuff) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aUEC6udQZczzd7jEBuMMnvSZn8WkznPn/view?usp=sharing
The loops seem to be an arbitrary order but it's due to positioning on the board/practical cabling reasons. Logic would dictate I should put the things that are always first in the chain in loop 1/7 etc but it didn't always work out that way based on the user experience of the board. There's also a weird thing that I do where the HX Stomp has two paths internally that don't see eachother so that I can use it as a "delay pedal" in a chain, and also a redundant split into its main output for use as a headphone amp or FOH direct line without it appearing in my FX chain before a my real amps.
IMG_9682.jpg
I'll try to explain it simply/thoroughly in case it helps:
Morningstar MC6 Pro is the midi host. It's connected via DIN to the RJM directly, RJM sends thru to the HX Stomp also via DIN.

Guitar goes in at top right to the MI Boost n Buff -> tuner -> gate (revv g8), then to the input of the MEGX

Most loops are split into mono
1) Compressor (top, above habit)
& 7) Sick As (beside blooper)
2) Count To Five
& 8) Tube Zone ("del mar")
3) HX Stomp main input path (no return, one way send), loop not split
4) HX Stomp's return/send path on the side of pedal (used exclusively for delays)
& 10) Zoom Multistomp
5) Blooper
& 11) Habit
6) Illumine, loop not split

These are usually arranged 1 7 8 4 10 5 6 2 11 3, which puts compression (1), drives (7/8), delay (4), modulation/pitch (10), looper (5), reverb (6) and creative/frippertronics (2, 11) in the default order, with the one-way send to the HX stomp's main input at the end (3). Because it doesn't return to the MEGX (return 3 is empty), it doesn't make it back to the chain and out to my physical amp, but I can grab a line from it to FOH.

The output of the MEGX goes to the LEHLE ABY, which then goes to a patch panel on the left of my board and out to amplifiers.

The send to the HX Stomp's main path is arranged last before the output of the MEGX, and the patch panel takes the MEGX/ABY output. In this way I've got the same MEGX-matrixed chain going into both fake amp and real amps without the one seeing the other. If I plug out of the board proper loop 3 isn't heard because it doesn't return. Since I do use a physical amp 99% of the time this is ideal.

Not sure if any of that helps with working out what's going on here, but CC110 127 doesn't re-enable my input regardless of what I do or what I have connected, or loop order. My global defaults specify the input and output be on by default but they're not locked.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm pretty sure I have a solution. A new firmware release is available as part of editor v1.1.2, which is available on our website. Please note that only the Mac and PC versions are updated right now, the iPad version will take a bit longer.

Ok, I'm pretty sure I have a solution. A new firmware release is available as part of editor v1.1.2, which is available on our website. Please note that only the Mac and PC versions are updated right now, the iPad version will take a bit longer.
I've downloaded the changed editor and it prompted for the firmware update, but it continues to prompt for the update on a loop even after succeeding and I can't communicate with the MEGX via the software because of it.

I'll test the behaviour of the MEGX re the CC message shortly and report if that solved anything.

It works as intended as far as I can tell! Great work/thank you!!
Editor/firmware number communication issue has been introduced though, so sorry about that :p

Please download again, I discovered the error shortly after uploading it. The version that's up there now should be ok (even though it's the same firmware number, I was hoping to sneak it in before anyone downloaded it).

Back