Midi 2.0?

middle_pickup

Will it be possible to update the PBC to support midi 2.0? I know the spec isn't released yet, but I am hoping that once it is the Universal Audio UA FX line of pedals will get an update for midi over their USB C ports. Do the PBC microcontrollers have the capacity to handle the 2.0 you think?

MIDI 2.0 is a very broad specification that covers a lot of different things. Is there some particular feature you're looking for?

It seems like you're talking about USB... USB MIDI is different from USB 2.0. You can do USB 2.0 over standard MIDI connectors, and you can use any type of USB on a MIDI 1.0 device (assuming the hardware supports it). If that's what you're referring to, I've always wanted to add USB host support so USB MIDI devices could be connected directly. However, there are some limits in the USB support in the Masterminds, especially with regard to the use of multiple devices, USB hubs and the like. I hope to look at this some time later this year to see if anything can be done.

Having the PBC work as a USB host sounds really cool, but I mean midi 2.0. As I have read online it's the forthcoming update to midi. I'm sure after it's released new pedals will support it. I'm just hoping that the PBC will be able to keep up without a hardware change.

Idk what specific features I'm personally interested in for midi 2.0. I was mostly wondering if the PBC's onboard logic is sophisticated enough to support the new spec.

It's hard to say at this point. The Masterminds are all very low on memory with the current firmware, so there's only so much we can do. I'm not even sure which features would be useful at this point. A lot of the 2.0 stuff doesn't apply to a device like the PBC.

I've put in some very basic 2.0 support in the Overture and Mini Effect Gizmo X, but I couldn't even complete it because not all of the specs are done yet. What would need to go into a MIDI controller would be much more complicated.

So, I guess the short answer is no, we can't truly support 2.0 with the current hardware. There may be some parts of it we could support, but it remains to be seen if what we're capable of doing is actually useful.

Back