MIDI into the PBC6/x

AlexMania

Hi all,

Trying to assemble a bidirectional MIDI cable to control the PBC from another controller. I tried this recipe, but no joy. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

AlexMIDI splitter wiring.jpg

That looks correct to me. What are you trying to do with the MIDI input? For example, If you're trying to send remote program changes or control loops, MIDI receive channel needs to be set to the channel of the incoming messages.

I have the PBC set to receive on channel 10, however it doesn't seem to respond to the incoming messages nor does it pass the messages from the external controller.

It's right under MIDI Forward. And, I had it wrong, it's Merge: Out.

If you don't see Merge Out, your firmware and editor are old. However, MIDI Merge should be there and it should work.

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 4.17.20 PM.png

Aah, the cleverness of context sensitive interfaces. I had Midi Forward checked, which hid the Merge options. As soon as I unchecked MIDI Forward, voila! Thanks!

I'll keep you posted. I'm impressing myself (probably shouldn't) as I'll be controlling the Morningstar MC3 controller (great little thing) from the PBC and I'll be controlling the PBC loops from the MC3. This might actually allow me to stop investing so heavily in P-Touch tape. Ron / Sherri, et. al., you are the best. Over the years, I've owned a GT22, GT16, GT10, effects gizmos, amp gizmos, and currently my beloved PBC, which has given me so much on itty tiny stages. Thank you.

Gimme a PBC6/x with single line multicolored screens above each button a la GT, and my head will explode. Seriously, I might not survive the gush.

Aah, the cleverness of context sensitive interfaces. I had Midi Forward checked, which hid the Merge options. As soon as I unchecked MIDI Forward, voila! Thanks!

I'll keep you posted. I'm impressing myself (probably shouldn't) as I'll be controlling the Morningstar MC3 controller (great little thing) from the PBC and I'll be controlling the PBC loops from the MC3. This might actually allow me to stop investing so heavily in P-Touch tape. Ron / Sherri, et. al., you are the best. Over the years, I've owned a GT22, GT16, GT10, effects gizmos, amp gizmos, and currently my beloved PBC, which has given me so much on itty tiny stages. Thank you.

Gimme a PBC6/x with single line multicolored screens above each button a la GT, and my head will explode. Seriously, I might not survive the gush.
Hey Alex, did you end up getting this happening? I’m looking to do something with my PBC10 & an MC3

It's right under MIDI Forward. And, I had it wrong, it's Merge: Out.

If you don't see Merge Out, your firmware and editor are old. However, MIDI Merge should be there and it should work.

View attachment 1954
Hey Ron, posted this in the FB group, but maybe you could tell me if I’m dreaming here -
I'm looking at adding a Morningstar MC3 to my PBC10 as I miss some of the LFO style fuctions the Morningstar does - I know I can just send the MIDI out of the MC3 to the PBC10 in, and do the whole MIDI Merge thing with the standard jacks, but I'm wondering if there's a possibility of having bi-directional midi with the MC3 (so I can take advantage of the midi ports on the MC3 to save me adding a midi box) via the USB?
My reasoning is USB -> Device to USB on the MC3, am I just kidding myself that will work? Anyone here have any success with this kind of a setup?
I mean, Ron might add all those functions in v5.0 and make the whole MC3 thing redunant anyway ;)

Back