MIDI Issue

shoelesscraig

Ron, I have a pretty specific MIDI issue with the Source Audio Programmable EQ. I've had this on my board for quite some time now and I love the capability it gives me. That said, I've started using it in a few new ways and have discovered an issue.

To keep my issue short and sweet...I send a PC to the EQ pedal (it has 4 different presets total, each with a different EQ curve) and then a CC command that adjusts the volume of the pedal. This way I can select 1 of 4 EQ curves and a volume per PBC preset.

Long story short, when I choose EQ preset #1, the volume command (which is CC30) works fine. When I select any other EQ preset (2-4) the CC command for the volume sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I've hooked MIDI-OX to the Mastermind and the command IS being sent. It's just that sometimes the EQ pedal doesn't read it. Usually leaving the PBC preset and returning to it will fix it. In other words, sometimes you have to try several times for the EQ pedal to get the message...even though the PBC is doing what it is supposed to. I'm thinking the EQ doesn't like the rapid succession of PC and then immediately the CC.

Obviously the EQ is the issue and not your product...but I'm just asking...it appears as though if there was a slight delay between when the PC was sent and when the CC was sent, the EQ would like that better. I know there isn't an obvious way for me to change this inside the PBC. So I guess I'm just asking...do you know of some other way I can achieve this? I figure the answer is no...but I wanted to ask just in case I'm missing something.

Some effect devices do have the problem where they ignore MIDI messages during preset changes. I don't know if the Source Audio pedals do, never used them. But if that is the case, a delay in transmitting would be what's needed. Adding delays is definitely on the to do list, but there's no way to accomplish it at this time, unfortunately.

Back