MIDI to XLR problem

Andy Power

Hi, hope someone can help… I have my Axe IIi in a sep rack from my other equipment. I bought some XLR to MIDI cables to go from the Axe to the phantom box for my GT-16. When connected the GT lights up but does not control my Axe. If I swap out the xlr to Midi cables for normal MIDI cables it works ok… does the MIDI need to be more than 3 pins? Is that the problem?

Last edited:
Yes, the MIDI connection needs to be 5 pin to get full connectivity with the Axe-Fx, and 7-pin if you need phantom power.

ah, so that’s the problem then
Would MIDI to USB work? is that 5 pin?
Converting MIDI to USB and back again is a complicated process, a lot more changes than just the connector. I suppose that you could just try to use an actual USB cable to carry "normal" MIDI data, but you'd almost certainly have to build the adapter yourself. USB cables will have anywhere from 4 to 24 (?) conductors, depending on the type.

If I wanted to carry MIDI data over a fairly easy to get cable, I would choose CAT5. 8 conductors, pretty easy to get. But, the trick is there aren't many adapters for that. I think there are one or two companies making MIDI range extenders that use CAT5.

So would something like this work? if I bought two, MIDI from Axe to CAT 5 then back to MIdI again.

It seems like it should work, but I didn't even know that that one existed. It does specifically say that all 5 pins are connected, so odds of success are good.

Iv orde a couple, will let you know if they work ok
They don’t work…though they say all five pins are connected it doesn’t work indicating that only 3 are connected….. so back to square one as I am unable to find anything…
I emailed CME Widi but they replied saying only pins 4, 2 and 5 are connected..so the GT-16 will not work

seems like nothing will work .
as only RJM is operating outside the MIDI standard, there is no 5-pin DIN (bidirectional) MIDI. So I don't i will find any device that is compatible ‍♂️

And, going back to the beginning here, what XLR to MIDI cable did you buy originally?
Hi,
im using the RJM power box Din7F
..the XLR to MIDI was only 3 pin - I ordered them at the time I didn’t realise that standard 3 pin midi wouldn’t work, I then ordered Midi to Ethernet as it said all 5 pins were connected but that didn’t work…all other searches have revealed that everything is 3 pin protocol, so nothing will work unless I try and make something myself.
i am looking at a MiDI panel connection that has 5 lugs on the back and then dissecting one end of a midi cable and soldering the wires onto the relevant pins… it seems it’s my only option..

Last edited:
Is the goal to have a MIDI connection using a cable that's more commonly available than a MIDI cable? If so, you would still have to rely on adapters which are even harder to get than MIDI cables. It may be better to just carry spare MIDI cables.

Is the goal to have a MIDI connection using a cable that's more commonly available than a MIDI cable? If so, you would still have to rely on adapters which are even harder to get than MIDI cables. It may be better to just carry spare MIDI cables.
No, I have a large rack that is split into two, top half has the Axe III, bottom half has the Din7F and other midi devices. I wanted to have a midi connection on the the back of each rack so I can connect them with a short midi patch cable…

Ok, in that case, you'll need to have two MIDI cables between top and bottom. Or, add two more phantom power boxes (or the equivalent) to combine the Axe-Fx's in and out into one cable, and another to separate in and out when it reaches the lower rack.

Ok, in that case, you'll need to have two MIDI cables between top and bottom. Or, add two more phantom power boxes (or the equivalent) to combine the Axe-Fx's in and out into one cable, and another to separate in and out when it reaches the lower rack.
That’s the problem as all MIDI connections are 3 pin not 5….
the MIDI protocol is 3 pin not 5 so there’s nothing available to purchase to enable this…unless I make something from 5 strand cable….
not sure what you mean by adding another two or more phantom boxes? How would I do that? Even though financial it would be out of the question at an average of $80 each……I’m also in UK so there’s import duty, VAT etc making each one well over $100 each

Last edited:
You can use 3 pin cables, but only for unidirectional connections. Attached are 2 hastily scrawled alternate configurations that use a single phantom power box and can use 3 pin MIDI cables for all connections except the one to the Mastermind.

IMG_0758 Large.jpeg

You can use 3 pin cables, but only for unidirectional connections. Attached are 2 hastily scrawled alternate configurations that use a single phantom power box and can use 3 pin MIDI cables for all connections except the one to the Mastermind.

View attachment 2651
I will try diagram 2 (and move the PPA box into the top rack… if my idea of dissecting and soldering the 5 strands of a midi cable to a panel connection doesn’t work.though I need to return a midi in to the axe as it is controlled from the lock track unit (switching scenes etc).
I’ve tried the 1st diagram which is currently how I h have it but the MIDI connection joining the two racks are only 3 pin (no one does 5 pin) so the GT-16 doesn’t work…

If you do the first one, you need two cables between the racks, one specifically from the output of the Axe-Fx to the input of the phantom power box, no other devices in between. With two cables, it should work even with 3 pin MIDI cables. Conversely, even properly wired 5 pin cables will not work in example #1 if you try to use only one cable. There are basically no MIDI devices (except a few of ours) that will pass a bidirectional MIDI signal, so there must be a direct connection from the Axe-Fx MIDI output to the phantom power box. Any device in between will stop the signal from traveling

Back