MIDI to XLR problem

If you do the first one, you need two cables between the racks, one specifically from the output of the Axe-Fx to the input of the phantom power box, no other devices in between. With two cables, it should work even with 3 pin MIDI cables. Conversely, even properly wired 5 pin cables will not work in example #1 if you try to use only one cable. There are basically no MIDI devices (except a few of ours) that will pass a bidirectional MIDI signal, so there must be a direct connection from the Axe-Fx MIDI output to the phantom power box. Any device in between will stop the signal from traveling
ah, then this has been my problem…I tried the MIDI din to ethernet from the out of the Axe then converting it back to a MIDI din on the PPA end, but the GT-16 stopped working…when using a single MIDI cable from the Axe out to the PPA the GT works as it should…but I don’t want to be using a cable like this as I’m wanting the backs of the racks closed up and using midi patch cables to connect the top rack to the bottom rack…
I took one of my midi cables apart and it has 5 pins connected..so I will solder this to a 5 pin Din chassis panel mount and do the same on the other end connecting to the PPA then I should be able to use a short midi cable to patch (as long as it’s got a 5 pins connected) unfortunately this forum doesn’t allow me to upload photos from iPhone etc so I can’t show you exactly how it is :-(

Last edited:
I use a pair of CME WIDI Jack devices on my MMGT / AxeFX III system. See https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-jack/ for product details.
You'll need two of them to provide two-way communications between the MMGT and AxeFX. But that means all you need to do is provide power to the MMGT and you'll have a wireless connection.

In my previous setup, I used the RJM Phantom Power box which provided two-way communication via a single 7-pin MIDI cable. That was super reliable and easy to set up. I had a panel-mount 7-pin MIDI connector on the back of my AxeFX rack, and on the back of my pedalboard. The reason I switched over to WIDI was mainly to eliminate the need for the MIDI cable entirely; that 7-pin MIDI cable isn't a standard item at your local music store, and as a critical link in my touring rig, it was a point of risk that nagged at me - even though I carried two spares! Stages are dangerous places, often overrun with clumsy deranged creatures called "bandmates". Watching my drummer (love ya, brother, but you're a wrecking machine) roll his stand flight case over my cable always gave me hives.

I use a pair of CME WIDI Jack devices on my MMGT / AxeFX III system. See https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-jack/ for product details.
You'll need two of them to provide two-way communications between the MMGT and AxeFX. But that means all you need to do is provide power to the MMGT and you'll have a wireless connection.

In my previous setup, I used the RJM Phantom Power box which provided two-way communication via a single 7-pin MIDI cable. That was super reliable and easy to set up. I had a panel-mount 7-pin MIDI connector on the back of my AxeFX rack, and on the back of my pedalboard. The reason I switched over to WIDI was mainly to eliminate the need for the MIDI cable entirely; that 7-pin MIDI cable isn't a standard item at your local music store, and as a critical link in my touring rig, it was a point of risk that nagged at me - even though I carried two spares! Stages are dangerous places, often overrun with clumsy deranged creatures called "bandmates". Watching my drummer (love ya, brother, but you're a wrecking machine) roll his stand flight case over my cable always gave me hives.
I have the GT-16 connected to the Phantom power box with the 7 pin cable…the phantom power box (which has MIDI in and Out) is in the bottom rack, my Axe III is in the top box..would I be able to connect a WIDI Master from the Power box to the And the MIDI in on the Axe III. And from the Axe MIDI out to various other MIDI equipment?
would that work?

Yes, that would work. The WIDI system replaces the MIDI cables and would eliminate the need for MIDI interconnects between your racks.

You could also install the WIDI system at your GT16 (which is what I have done). You'd have to move the GT16 power supply to your board, but doing this would eliminate the 7 pin MIDI cable going to the rack. Then you could put a WIDI system in each rack and group them, which would provide full 2-way interconnectivity among everything without cables between the pedalboard or the racks. Your setup time would be decreased, as you'd only be hooking up power to the GT16, and everything would just auto-connect via Bluetooth.

CME also sells some neat gizmos that can distribute / route / merge MIDI, including MIDI via Bluetooth. Not shilling for them. Just a fan of the tech, as it makes my touring rig easier to set up and maintain.

Yes, that would work. The WIDI system replaces the MIDI cables and would eliminate the need for MIDI interconnects between your racks.

You could also install the WIDI system at your GT16 (which is what I have done). You'd have to move the GT16 power supply to your board, but doing this would eliminate the 7 pin MIDI cable going to the rack. Then you could put a WIDI system in each rack and group them, which would provide full 2-way interconnectivity among everything without cables between the pedalboard or the racks. Your setup time would be decreased, as you'd only be hooking up power to the GT16, and everything would just auto-connect via Bluetooth.

CME also sells some neat gizmos that can distribute / route / merge MIDI, including MIDI via Bluetooth. Not shilling for them. Just a fan of the tech, as it makes my touring rig easier to set up and maintain.
This sounds great, I will get 2 X WIDI masters ordered…not too sure if any of the gizmos will help as yet but will look into them… I don’t have my GT-16 on a board, I use it on its own so having to use a power supply for it wouldn’t really be of any benefit interesting though it sounds…I’ll order two WIDI’s and take it from there

This sounds great, I will get 2 X WIDI masters ordered…not too sure if any of the gizmos will help as yet but will look into them… I don’t have my GT-16 on a board, I use it on its own so having to use a power supply for it wouldn’t really be of any benefit interesting though it sounds…I’ll order two WIDI’s and take it from there
That will definitely help with the interconnects between the racks. For what it's worth, here is a recent thread I posted about the configuration of my GT16 on my pedalboard: https://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-current-mmgt16-pedalboard.5627/

Happy new year!

Back