Mini effect gizmo expandability question

F

fevzay

In order to squeeze a few extra pedals, I've been considering adding a Mini Effect gizmo.

Two questions:

1. Are you patching this into one of the Loops, or into an insert point (ie. between loops 4 and 5)?

2. Regarding the 'Loops page'....you're basically "losing" functionality here with regards to IA, correct? Certainly placing the effect gizmo in an insert point won't work. What would happen if you have the effect gizmo in loop 2 and you add in loop 2 when on the 'Loops page'?.....would ALL of them turn on at once?

1. I suppose, patching it into an insert point would be the most sensible thing to do, since patching it into a loop will effectively yield one less loop total.

2. Since you now have 15 loops, but only 11 physical buttons on the pbc, you obviously can't have direct access to all of them on a single page. You can however program a button to send a cc message to turn individual loops on the MEG on/off, so on two separate button pages you could in fact have direct access to all loops. Actually, if you assign hold functions to 5 of the buttons on the loop page, you could control them all on the same button page. That should work.

Awesome, thanks RubenRoeh!

I'll actually only have around 12 pedals, so I wouldn't mind using one of the loops to patch it in. I'm going to use the first insert point (between loops 4 and 5) to place my tuner which I'd like ON all the time.

I am mainly planning on putting some overdrive pedals in the MEG. So far, I have my loops planned out as follows:

L1: Strymon Mobius (PRE)
L2: Fuzz
L3: Compressor
L4: Mini Effect Gizmo (Box of Rock, King of Tone, Prince of Tone, Boss SD1, etc.)

(insert Tuner)

L5: <<OPEN FOR TRYING OUT NEW PEDALS>>
L6: Strymon Mobius (POST)

L7: Strymon el Capistan
L8: Strymon Timeline
L9: Strymon DIG
L10: Strymon Big Sky

***Feel free to offer opinions on how to organize the loops!*****

I know, I know.....Strymon fanboy here. Before you bash me, my other board is all BOSS. Haha, I love both! Options are good.

Haha, I'm a Strymon artist, if anything, I'll compliment you for it!

Order of loops seems sensible. You may want to experiment with putting the pre section of the mobs after fuzz and possibly compression, depending on the algorithms you are planning to use. Some work better after. But I could totally see it working just fine as is. I would probably opt for putting the Timeline last in your delay block (so loop 9), since it is the only of the 3 that can be set to kill dry, and that would give you the option to run the timeline and the bigsky in parallel on a preset by preset basis. Could be useful!

I'd be glad to lend a hand with programming if required.

Haha, I'm a Strymon artist, if anything, I'll compliment you for it!

Order of loops seems sensible. You may want to experiment with putting the pre section of the mobs after fuzz and possibly compression, depending on the algorithms you are planning to use. Some work better after. But I could totally see it working just fine as is. I would probably opt for putting the Timeline last in your delay block (so loop 9), since it is the only of the 3 that can be set to kill dry, and that would give you the option to run the timeline and the bigsky in parallel on a preset by preset basis. Could be useful!

I'd be glad to lend a hand with programming if required.

Thanks for your thoughts! I'll certainly experiment with the location of the Mobius relative to the Fuzz and Compressor.

So, I looked it up and the DIG does have a Kill Dry feature; however, the el Capistan does not mention it. The manual for the EC says to turn the Mix knob to 100% wet. Does this not achieve the same thing in order to run it parallel?

***EDIT***

Nevermind, I already see the problem with setting the Mix to 100% wet....there is no way to control the effect 'level'. Looks like the Mix knob is used as the effect level on pedals with a Kill Dry feature.

So......I think I'm going to put the DIG in #9 in order to get super clear digital repeats and the Timeline in #8. The El Capistan will sit in Loop #7 since the parallel feature won't be utilized (bummer).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back