Mini Gizmo and JSX setup assistance

Well I had a chance tonight to get back into our rehersal spot for a practice. I just powered up the gizmo like normal with no buttons pressed in or anything. It was working fine for an hour then it started acting up randomly again. The LEDs were correct on the face but the channel selection on teh amp went out of order.

I played around with the LED buttons and they sound like all single clicks to me. Its stitting up on my amp head. When I picked it up to examine, it changed amp channels with me just picking it up. I could only get that to happen once (abnormal yes). I rebooted the gizmo and held in teh 8, then pressed teh 3 routine. After that it seemed to work again although we didnt play to long after that.

Maybe its the interface cable that has a short or something? Maybe its getting heated up and its affecting it?

When I initially configured it, it wouldnt have had time to heat up yet it was jumping around.

Dang lol, trust I'm trying to see a pattern. Its awesome when it works and the people who have seen it think teh very same.

It just caught me off guard when I thought my troubles were over, for an hour I get the correct channels with my back to it then in the middle of a song I change and its no longer crunch but clean, ack!

I'll have to watch it again next weekend, if u have any ideas lemme know. I do appreciate teh help.

sounds to me like the mini amp gizmo is working fine and the issue is either the cable between the amp gizmo and the amp or the jack on the amp itself ( Bad connection, short, damage etc)

Sorry about the trouble - it could be an intermittent cable or a flaky Mini Amp Gizmo. You can check the cable by flexing it left, right up and down at the point where the cable meets the connector (where the black rubber strain relief is) - do this on both ends and see if you can get that to trigger any weirdness.

If you can get definitive results, we'll send you a new cable. Otherwise, please send in the Mini Amp Gizmo and cable and we'll get them fixed up immediately.

Whats the warrenty coverage of a gizmo?

Two practices ago it worked fine the whole time, flawless and that was 3 hours and lotsa patch changes same songs as every week.

Last night about 60-90 min into practice, she caughed up again and the channels were screwed up lol and It was was on my #1 main bank. I'll keep watching it.

After a re-bootup of the gizmo alone, it was fine again for the rest of the night.

I did bend the cable in the positions but nothing happened for weirdness.

Just wanted to update.

So, it was fine once you reset the Gizmo, and you didn't unplug the cable? If so, that definitely sounds like a Gizmo problem. The warranty is 1 year, but If it's been longer than that, we can still probably work something out.

Last night was brutal, it went outta wack very fast. Yes I just unplug the power then plug it back in again. It usually stays good but not last night, it reverted back after 3-4 songs.

Is there a way I can reset back to factory defaults? I'd just like to try that if I can before thinking of sending it back. It was being used on a whole other amp and processor system and interface cable before my current system. Maybe that has glitched it somehow?

I was also wondering, on every patch I switch channels, but I also use button 5 ON because I use my FX loop on every patch. I wonder if thats doing anything, button 5 being a constant ON. Maybe I should be looking at having the FX loop in the interface cable hardwired ON all the time to see if that helps? I do have access to some very good electro techs at work who have offered to help.

For warrenty, what are those details to see if I'm covered, repair costs (ballpark) and turnaround? I'd hate to get rid of it because its so good when it works, absolutely love it and its the answer to all my prayers lol.

Anything on warrenty or a factory reset or comments on the above thread? It was quiet an investment to be unused so I'd like to deal with it somehow. I've been reading my gt-8 manual but nothing jumps out at me to fix the behaviour from a gt POV. I've tried a few midi cables with same results, just thought I'd throw that in.

I do appreciate your support on this.

one thing worth checking, power up the GT8 Before everything else. A lot of roland/boss units send large amounts of midi data (mainly sysex ) during power up and they can cause other units to crash. Whilst I can power everything up on my rig together if I want to connect my pC ,regardless of what USB /midi interface I use if I power this up before or with the GT pro the gt pro will cause it to freeze up. Just a thought

Sorry about the late response - a factory reset is done by holding the 1 and 4 buttons on power up. There's not much confirmation and it only takes a second or two.

The warranty is 1 year, but we often repair things at no cost (except possibly return shipping) that are out of warranty if there's no signs of damage or abuse.

4x4uk said:
one thing worth checking, power up the GT8 Before everything else. A lot of roland/boss units send large amounts of midi data (mainly sysex ) during power up and they can cause other units to crash. Whilst I can power everything up on my rig together if I want to connect my pC ,regardless of what USB /midi interface I use if I power this up before or with the GT pro the gt pro will cause it to freeze up. Just a thought

Thanks for teh idea. I actually turn on the gizmo last usually and just plug it in not holding any buttons or anything.

Well today I tried turning on the gizmo first and a held in button 8 while booting up then pressed in #3 after and it worked awesome for about 2-3 hours then bam, she acted up jumping between patches about halfway thru a song and it always reverts back to the clean channel. When I look back and go thru the buttons on my bank you can see between channels 1 and 3 it just superfast jumps to the lead channel then right back to clean like it was getting confused....it was awesome and I thought it was gonna work the whole day. I cant pinpoint a consistancy but it seems when I go from my crunch channel to my lead channel is when things go haywire. Sometimes if I stomp the buttons fast enough (thus switching the channels fast) it actually corrects itself sometimes. I dont think I'm hitting 2 GT buttons at once by accident but I guess it can happen sometimes cause I got big shoes.

I'm gonna do a factory reset next rehearsal because I dont have many buttons programmed so no loss to get them back again.

If I send it back for testing with the cable, where do I send it?

Thanks for sticking with me guys.

BTW, what are you using to power the Gizmo? If it's consistently dropping back to the clean channel, it sounds like the GIzmo may be resetting. It would be an interesting test to turn on one additional switch on all of your patches (say #8), and when the problem happens note if #8 is still on or not. A reset will turn off all switches except #1.

rjmmusic said:
BTW, what are you using to power the Gizmo? If it's consistently dropping back to the clean channel, it sounds like the GIzmo may be resetting. It would be an interesting test to turn on one additional switch on all of your patches (say #8), and when the problem happens note if #8 is still on or not. A reset will turn off all switches except #1.

This is my power I have a block plug (not a universal) ac adaptor output 9v - 1.0A negative tip input 100-240V 50/60hz 0.5A

I can try that. When the issue happens, theres no visable changes on the LEDs gizmowise and after it happens when I change patches, even though the patch and channel dont line up, the gizmo lights are still correct to what I want or should be getting.

I wonder if I'm playing a hard riff on a crunch channel hammering the strings hard then switch to clean playing in the same forceful manner if that abrupt change does anything signalwise? I wonder if the GT level knob has anything to do with it....like maybe too much signal going thru?

the audio signal levels should not affect the midi control, even if they are too hot.

One thing I have noticed with the Boss units which can cause some issues with other gear is that some during boot up send an awful lot of midi data and I have seen that cause some other equipment to reset. SO just in case power up the GT10 first then the amp gizmo

I think sending it in is the next thing to do. We've pretty much tested everything I can think of, so I need to do some more intensive testing on it.

Ok I will do that. Whats address should I send it too and to who's attention? I'll send the unit, the interface cable and the power adaptor.

I've been trying many things since my last post and I just can't seem to pinpoint it. I've had a bunch of shows now and it keeps glitching out about twice a night but on totally different songs each time. To get by I have it hooked up on a remote plug to a switch at my feet that I can toggle to turn the power on/off and reset it halfway thru a song....but I cant do that forever lol. It works on reset for a while anyway. It's never worked thru a 4 hour show though straight.

The only thing I can think of is when it does glitch, I'm not at a pause in a song or anything. I'd be hammering out some rythm chords and go right into a solo on the 3rd channel when bang she drops out....maybe its a line level problem....cant see how that would relate to the gizmo though....being midi fired. *sigh*

Mark it for the attention of Ron Menelli, and send it to:

RJM Music Technology, Inc.
2525 Pioneer Ave.
Suite 1
Vista, CA 92081
USA

I'd mention that you're GrandpaBob from the forum just to make sure he's clued up. I know he's got a million things going round his head at the moment (all the time?)!

Thanks, Martn! :oops:

Yes, I'm actively working on five products at the same time and am also writing an iPad app. My brain's so cluttered It's a wonder I remember to dress myself in the morning! (Oh shit, where are my pants !?!?!?) :lol:

Anyway, please send to the address Martin posted and definitely include a brief note describing the problem. Also please include your return address inside the box. I apologize for the trouble, but we'll get it sorted out as quickly as possible!

HI I still plan on sending the unit back but I had to keep it for a big show but now thats done, I can send it for inspection. I was gonna purchase or borrow a GT-10 to see if that takes care of something but I couldn't land one.

For my show I plugged the gizmo into a footswitch on/off powerbar so when it glitched out, I just rebooted it and quickly changed patches with my foot to get me thru the song and get teh FX loop going again. It was still a pain though because I can't anticipate when it will glitch even though I'm using the same patch as the previous songs. Usually after an hour, it starts acting up, but not all the time.

Okay, but please note that I'll be out of town from July 21 through the 28th, so you may wish to hold off shipping for a little while.

Back