MMGT-16 not talking to channels 9-12 on the Effect Gizmo

MAXIMUM

Let me first say that I hate laptops with touch pads…as I was almost done a very long write up here when my thumb hit the touch pad which hits the website browser back button…and I lost everything!

So here it goes again….which may be shorter this time around.

OK…here is a second issue I am trying to sort out. I sent an email directly to Ron on this one…but I figured that maybe someone else on this forum could give me some ideas too.

I’m doing some MMGT programing this past weekend with 12 pedals connected to an Effect Gizmo…being controlled by a MMGT-16. I had everything wired up…and the IA buttons were all working as advertised. I continued the programming in the MMGT Editor software…primarily on the layout with the buttons page…and presets on that respective page. Then at one point I noticed that loops 9-12 on the EG were not working. The buttons on the front plate of the EG worked fine…but midi commands from the MMGT were not working. I double checked all my routing…and it looked fine.

I had been using firmware 3.0 beta…and thought that might be an issue…so I rolled back to 2.3.6. I also starting remapping all of the pages and connections with a new file (just in case the other file was somehow corrupted). The problem still existed.

So I did some forum research in order to figure out some more ideas…and I came up with three possible problems. So I did a little testing this morning.

1. Faulty Effect Gizmo. It just so happens that I have two EG’s. So I did a reset on the second unit…set the midi channel to be the same as the first unit. Then I plug in the same power source and the same 7 pin cable from the MMGT. Powered everything up…and sure enough…it still has the same problem…no midi activation of loops 9-12.

2. Poor power. For the last 10 months I have been using the MMGT power supply to power up the EG…then the 7 pin midi cable to power the MMGT. It has worked fine up until a couple days ago. I have had my power supply plugged into the 120 volt pass through receptacle on my Voodoo Labs Mondo. I figured that would be fine…but just to eliminate problems…I plugged the power supply directly into the surge protector. Same problem was still present.

3. Bad midi cable. I did not have an extra 7 pin midi cable on hand…so I used the power supply mentioned above to connect directly to the MMGT…then I used the oem 1000 mA power supply to power up the EG…then a good quality 5 pin midi cable to connect the two devices. Did this fix the problem? Nope!!! Still loops 9-12 would not work through midi commands.

At this point…I am out of ideas. I feel like I ruled out the firmware…MMGT file…EG…the Power…and the cable. What’s left? Possible hardware issue to the MMGT? Could the Mastermind be sending information to loops 1-8 and not to 9-12?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a copy of my most recent MMGT Editor file.

Attachments

• 20150720b.rjs
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Hey Ron...I believe I found the problem.

In the Debug Log...it states "Unable to contact board 4".

In the System Info...it has ver 1.04 listed for button boards 1-3...but lists ver 0.00 for button board 4.

Does this mean that the board just happened to fail while I was working on programing? Or could it be a loose connection inside? Should I open her up and check the connections? Or is that an indicator of a different problem? I know all of the buttons are working...because loops 9-12 are not always being triggered by the same 4 buttons.

What do you think?

Never mind about the whole Board #4 thing. I took the cover off and saw that there is only 3 boards...plus the I/O board. I am guessing Board 4 is only used on the MMGT 22.

So I back to having no clue why loops 9-12 will not activate through the MMGT.

Help! :(

That's correct, only the 22 has a board 4.

As for the Effect Gizmo, check its settings. Loops 1-8 are set to one range of CCs and loops 9-12 are set to another.

Power up the Effect Gizmo while holding the 1 button. After the lights flash, check the state of buttons 5 through 8. 5, 6 and 8 should be turned off and 7 should be turned on. If this isn't the case press the buttons to correct them. Then press Write to finish. That should fix it.

Thank you Ron. I did a reset on it...but I might have turned off the number 7 light. Then I might have done the exact same thing on my second unit when I tested it. In fact...I'm pretty sure I did that. :roll:

I'll check back late tonight after I get home from work...but after your explanation...I'm pretty sure that is the fix I was looking for. Is that information about the light configuration in the manual? I tried looking for a solution...but might have missed that information. Only reason I ended up on that reset mode was when I read how to change the assigned midi channel on the EG...but I didn't see anything about the other lights.

Back