MMGT and KPA w/ Ableton PCs, is this possible?

Hey all-
I'm thinking of switching my current kemper ground control (which is currently ran over Cat6),to a mastermind GT.. (to be ran over standard midi).

Looks like i can run the bi directional midi of the MMGT through the midi In/Out ports on the back of the kemper, no problem.
The only potential problem that I would run into is.. I am running Program Changes out of an Ableton rig, to the midi in, of the kemper.
I was thinking maybe a midi merger from someone like midi solutions would do the trick.. takes 2 midi ins and merges to 1. That way i could still receive the PCs per usual, while also having full control on the MMGT up on stage.

But wanted to see if anyone had any experience or advice on this. Will this cause any problems with the MMGT or my program changes, by merging the 2 midi inputs? Or if there may be any problems i would run into if i went this route... before committing to the MMGT.

Thanks!

You could use a MIDI merger on the Kemper's MIDI input, but the best approach is to send the PCs from Ableton to the GT (over USB r MIDI), and have the GT send PCs to the Kemper. That way, the GT and Kemper remain in sync with each other.

Gotcha, the way our rig is currently set up... hitting the stage (MMGT) first with midi, would be quite tricky. Is there any way around this? that you can think of..

It depends on what you need. You can use your merger idea, or connect the Kemper's MIDI Thru to the GT's input, and get a lot of functionality, but the two won't fully synchronize unless you connect the GT output directly to the Kemper input.

the main thing we would need the GT for, would be switching in between performances (songs), and between the slots within that performance. this is in the case that program changes start acting weird.
While also using an expression pedal with it.

One more question on this.. if I’m running the GT standard in/ out of Kemper via midi...
If I were to edit something on the Kemper, ex. A name change on the current preset.. will that change in real time on the Mastermind GT?
Thanks

If you have Auto Names enabled, then everything will update the next time you change presets, possibly sooner. It's possible that it might actually change in real time, but I don't have a Kemper here to test it. (The GT updates names as soon as Kemper sends name information, but I'm not sure if the Kemper sends names as they're being edited.)

Back