MMGT22/Axe FX 3 MK2 Scenes Issue

Paulg2uk

Hi guys,

I hope you are all well Happy 4th of July to you all. I'm back with the GT22 after a quite a few years I've missed it too much. I'm using it with my Axe FX 3 MKII and I'm having some scene issues on the GT. I'm in touch with Ron about this too via email but I thought I'd post on here as well just in case anyone has come across this before. I have a friend who also has a GT22 and he's got the same issue.

Both the GT and the axe have been updated to their latest firmwares. 5.0.1 on the GT and 22.01 on the Axe I'm using a Voes M-Box to phantom power the GT via 7 pin midi din from the M-Box to the GT using a 6 pin XLR connector. All powers up correctly, presets work and scenes sort of work after reading the preset names on the GT from the axe. Bi directional midi is also working as the Axe's tuner is working correctly through the GT. I get scene and preset names displaying on the main LCD and the footswitch LCD's. The issue I'm having specifically is with scene 1 and scene 7 on the GT.

I have my scenes 1-8 set up on the first 8 buttons on the GT. One issue is scene 1 is showing as scene 6 on start up even though the button is configured to select scene 1. If I hold button 1 the scene 1 name appears even though there’s no hold function added to that button.

If I then change to another scene and try to switch back to scene 1 the scene that is currently is selected will show on that scene button 1’s LCD screen. Also scene 7 on the axe is set to button 7 on the GT and I have to press it twice to get it to change scenes. Weird right?

I did notice when powering on the GT for the first time when it was in its factory boot up state foot switch 1 said preset 6 instead of preset 1. I also did a factory reset again and that also appears without programming anything.

I hope that all makes sense. Do you guys think this could be a firmware issue? Should I try loading on an earlier version?

Many thanks

Paul

Last edited:
Post your config and I'll take a look.
Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the reply, I did show Ron my config file yesterday and he couldn't see anything. He suggested to try selecting the IA link option for all scenes. I did try that but it didn't work unfortunately. Config file is attached. I've attached a pic of the GT as it comes out of the box. You can see preset 6 is there on the preset 1 button. That's not right is it?

Thanks again

Paul

IMG_0976.jpeg

Attachments

• Main - 03:07:23.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Assigning the Scene buttons to a group isn't necessary. You can ungroup them.
But that won't solve the preset issue.

Perhaps it's an issue at the Axe-Fx side. Did you check that PC Mapping is disabled in MIDI/Remote?
Even better, do a system reset (Utility menu). Then execute Get All Preset Names again.

Assigning the Scene buttons to a group isn't necessary. You can ungroup them.
But that won't solve the preset issue.

Perhaps it's an issue at the Axe-Fx side. Did you check that PC Mapping is disabled in MIDI/Remote?
Even better, do a system reset (Utility menu). Then execute Get All Preset Names again.
Thanks Alexander, ungrouping the the scenes seems to have fixed the scene 7 issue I was having. I can now select that with no issues.

PC mapping is definitely off in the Axe, I'll do a system reset in the Axe and see what happens. Will report back in a bit.

One other thing: you have Send On Preset Change and Update On Preset Change enabled on your Bank Up button. Those should be off.

@rjmmusic , why are those options enabled by default when assigning a button to IA?

Last edited:
One other thing: you have Send On Preset Change and Update On Preset Change enabled on your Bank Up button. Those should be off.
I just saw that! Thank you. I've turned those off now. Just making an Axe backup I'll be back in a bit!

Ok so a little progress, I am able to select scenes normally due to the group buttons now being set to none. But I'm still getting scene 6 appear on button 1 even though it's programmed for scene 1. It is switching to scene 1 though so its just the LCD displaying the wrong name.

Any suggestions?

You should also remove Send On Preset Change and Update On Preset Change from the IA Store button.

You probably don't need to use IA Store and IA Mode at all. In fact, you may have used it and now the GT in IA Mode remembers the saved state of the scene names ("scene 6") instead of displaying the retrieved name(s).

Maybe that may have crept in during the Get Preset Names function? Try that again.
Ok so I tried that again and there was no change. I've removed the send on preset change and update on preset change from the IA store button also. Is it worth me removing both the IA store button and IA mode button if they aren't being used?

Probably. IA Mode is only useful when you want to change Preset buttons into IA buttons. Looking at your config you don't need that.

Ok so I've now removed those two buttons. Still having the scene 1 & 6 issue and it seems to be on every preset.

I'd delete the GT to factory settings (in the hardware menu) and start from scratch.
I did try that previously and even at factory settings even though its the effect gizmo selected as the main device you can see preset 6 is displayed instead of preset 1 on button 1. So I'm thinking this could be something else. It's definitely a weird one lol

Assign the Get Preset Name function (not ALL preset names) to a button, press that and check if P1 still displays the wrong name.

Still the same I'm afraid. It's driving me mad lol. I'm assuming my small 5 pin midi cables don't have to wired a certain way? It's a normal config?

You don't think could be the Voes M Box? I'm wondering if I should've got the RJM phantom power box instead.

No idea ... Maybe wrong wiring at the inside? But then the problem wouldn't be limited to a wrong display.

No idea ... Maybe wrong wiring at the inside? But then the problem wouldn't be limited to a wrong display.
It's possible I suppose. Very strange! I will wait to see what Ron says when he gets back to me. I've reached out to the reseller in Germany as well just in case, they were closet to me in the UK. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again for all your help.

Back