Mono pedal volume dropped at the Stereo Loop

Ben Leong

Hi. Need some advise/help here. I have a PBC 10 with the stereo loop setup as follows:

L7 - mono chorus pedal (mono-stereo converter cable)
L8 - Strymon Volante - Parallel (TRS to dual mono cable)
L9 - Strymon Bigsky - Parallel (TRS to dual mono cable)
L10 - Chase Bliss Gravitas - Parallel (TRS cable)

L8 to L10 works fine. The issue is at L7.

When I OFF L8 to L10 and ON L7 with series, it works fine. But when switch to parallel, I could hear a volume boost and could rarely hear the chorus effect.

When I ON any pedal between L8 and L10, the volume on L7 series suddenly dropped - almost could not hear anything. If I switch to parallel, the volume is back but could not hear the chorus effect from L7.

What seems to be the problem here?

Thanks.

Parallel routing only works well with pedals that can be set to 100% wet or "kill dry". When you try to use your chorus in parallel, you're getting twice the dry signal, which boosts the level. It would be best to find a chorus pedal that can be 100% wet, but if you can't do that, you could try turning off the dry signal in the PBC when the chorus is enabled.

I'm not sure about the second issue, but typically when there's a volume drop when turning on two loops, there's an impedance issue. And, usually that comes from a cable that has a partial short.

This is something I wrote up for the Effect Gizmo, but it applies to the PBC as well:
https://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-note-about-making-cables.64/

Back